puppy pads..spin off of our dog..is afraid to go outside?

i kinda feel like i should invest in puppy pads..i got the dog, bogey, outside this morning, but she didn't do anything..she stretched and sat down..its freezing outside so the sooner the better..lol..i didn't push her, i just said lets go potty, and tried to walk around with her..she wouldn't even walk..i picked her up to take her outside, and she was fine with, and picked her back up to get her in...i knew she would be more complicated than a puppy, or "normal" dog, since she was abandoned,..but for right now, are puppy pads the way to go?

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 7:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pets

• I've heard that puppy pads work, but I have never used them because I feel that tey teach the dog to go in the house
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We take in rescue dogs and IMO routine is best. Take her out every hour and about 15 minutes after she's eaten. Take her out the same door every time so she will know where to go to let you know she needs to go out. Also putting a puppy pad down by the door might be a good idea but sticking to taking her out is best. Take a treat out with you and as soon as she pee's give her one and lots of praise. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:26 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would not bother with puppy pads they only confues the dog. The best thing you can do is get the dog in a rountine. Take her our frequently and when she does go outside giver her some treats as a reward. If you don't have one, you should get a crate. I would take her outside to the same spot each time give her 10 minutes and if she does not go then bring her back in and out her in the crate for 10 minutes and then take her back outside. She will eventually go but it may take a few tries. SInce she is new she needs to adjust to you and her new surroundings but it is important to let up the routine and your rules now. And like i said in your last post get some really good treats (like chicken nuggets) to use to entice her to walk on the leash. Socialization is also important for these guys especially if they have some fears.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yup, like the PPs said-- You really don't want inside poop to be okay.

Maybe she needs to go for a run? Since everything is so slow and you are being so careful, maybe she is copying your demeanor to prove to you how she's a good girl? That's classic pack submission. Follow the leader.

I'd slip her into a no-pull chest harness and start sprinting. I think you have a really great dog on your hands.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It took me 8 mos to break Chloe. She was paper-trained, and would pee and poop on anything that was not the floor. She's so bad she won't even LAY on the floor. IMO, potty pads are a BAD idea. After 7 1/2 mos, I borrowed a crate from a friend, and it only took 2 wks before she had NO accidents. And I kept her in it according to MY schedule. I know it sounds harsh, but I left her in there all night, let her out first thing in the morning, let her out at lunch if I made it home (most days I did), let her out as soon as I got home, and again before bed. It took her 1 day to catch on, but only 4 days to have the routine down.

The yapping and the howling was annoying, but I would snap and say hush! I was blessed to have a dog that knew what that meant at the time!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We recently adopted a 3yo Yorkie. Her previous humans told us she was impossible to house train. She wouldn't go outside, they would stand with her for up to an hour and she wouldn't do anything at all but then the minute she came in she'd go potty inside. So, they invested in potty pads and put them in the bathroom and taught her to use them in there. We have 4 other dogs, having a none house trained dog was not going to be an option. On day 1 we let her out and found that she HATES to be watched. If we put her out & shut the door, she went right away. So, that's what we do and in less that 5 min. she does what needs done and is back in the house. The down side to them training her with potty pads....no rug in the bathroom is safe because to her, they are training pads. So, we keep the door shut and if she does go we don't discipline her because we understand that she can't tell the difference. Let your dog out, walk away and
    Anonymous

• give her some privacy. She will go eventually. Be consistent. Let her out once an hour and right before bedtime. She will, eventually, get the hang of going outside. Potty training a dog isn't that much different than potty training a toddler.
    Anonymous