VA will take a second look at "Gulf war syndrom", thoughts?

WASHINGTON — The Veterans Affairs Department says it will take a second look at the disability claims of what could be thousands of Gulf War veterans suffering from illnesses they blame on their war service, the first step toward potentially compensating them nearly two decades after the war ended.

VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said the decision is part of a "fresh, bold look" his department is taking to help veterans who have what's commonly called "Gulf War illness" and have long felt the government did little to help them. The VA says it also plans to improve training for medical staff who work with Gulf War vets, to make sure they do not simply tell vets that their symptoms are imaginary – as has happened to many over the years.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Its a little late for some...my father passed away in 2005 and he had this, it is real.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• "Gulf War illness" and have long felt the government did little to help them. The VA says it also plans to improve training for medical staff who work with Gulf War vets, to make sure they do not simply tell vets that their symptoms are imaginary – as has happened to many over the years.

Gulf War Vets (I know a few) have been treated for medical issues related to the Gulf War.  They should always continue to make it better. Dr's never stopped seeing veterens.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Im glad theyre doing this. Its about time.

Answer by gemgem at 9:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Im with grly ..it should continue to be made better
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My exact thoughts are: I'll believe it when I see it. The VA system is horrible.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I agree Blue. Having put my dad in the VA hospital ONCE, I decided I'd rather pay for care than get the horrible, substandard care the local VA hospital offered.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is about time. I have a best friend that is messed up from serving in the Gulf war, from chemicals they used.

7:) Some people on Cafemom are like kindergartners.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think it's about time, and that those who have suffered should have some recourse against the people who previously denied them.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2010