Do you ever feel guilty for not spending time with your animals?

Because you are too busy with your everyday life with your family, I mean at first we had somewhat of some time to spend with them but now that we have children it makes it hard to do so either it is too cold or too hot. I don't want to get rid of them bc I do love them dearly I do go out there and pet them hug and feed them but then I have to come in wash my hands and do what I have to do for my family I am just feeling guitly about it. :(
What would be consider sufficient time for them...we don't exercise :( so they don't either :(

Thanks for listening...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pets

• I bought a cockatiell a couple years ago, then found out I was pregnant. Shortly after the baby was born, I felt terrible because I didn't have time for him anymore, so I sold him to another family who could give him the time and attention he deserved.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I have indoor pets so getting themn attention is a non issue. My son and father in law have two outdoor dogs though and I get on them everyday to spend time with them so they dont go wild. Spending atleast 30 minutes on a walk, and playing with them 30 minutes (like throwing a ball etc) should be enough. On cold nights we let the big dogs come inside but they can only stay in the kitchen and I block it off. That way if they have any accidents I can promptly get it up and not worry about dog hair or slobber or ewww poop on my furniture.
    If you cant commit to that then you should find them another home. Theres no shame in doing that when youre doing it for their best interest.

Answer by gemgem at 8:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yep, I do. We have ferrets and they were hurt because our time spent with them significantly decreased when we started caring for my grandmother. Though now we are down to one ferret we make a better effort of spending time with her. The other ferrets died due to old age over the past four years. They only live about 7-9 years.

What kind of pets do you have and why are they outside?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:51 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I have three dobermans who are as friendly as can be to anyone i bring in the house, but one of them is getting on in years. He sometimes gets a little grouchy if you touch him in certain places. He's never done anything to make me think that he would hurt one of the kids, but I keep him separated from us because you just never know. He lives in the kitchen mostly which is open to the living room. The longest baby gate you've ever seen divides the areas, but he always leans his head over to lick one of the other dogs or just beg for some lovin.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• nope i make SURE to make time to my first children
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• OP here we have 2 golden retreivers and they live outside bc our home is too small for them to live inside but when it gets too cold or whatever they go inside the garage. They are very loving and playful I just can't seem to find the time any more I don't want to get rid of them they are happy in their own way I guess bc this is the only life they know :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is not an issue in my family. We have 3 dogs and 6 cats and we always find to time to give them attention. I take my two older dogs with me several times a week wherever i can take them. I run my most active dog with my bike everday(weather permitting). But we take the adult dogs on walks regularly. The puppy goes everywhere with me everyday so that he gets socialization. We are not taking him on walks yet because he has had some issues with his legs so we don't want him to over do it. We als take our dogs with us on vacation. When we are not doing anythign they jst hang out with us. The cats get plenty of attention as well.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• ok not to be rude but curious why have 2 BIG dogs that can't be in your house cause its too small, maybe you shoulda downsized the amount or size of dogs when buying them.. i personally dont believe dogs should just be outside dogs i believe they are part of the family and should be inside as well with your family
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• hi op, it's hard I know to have animals and kids. I have both since my oldest was little, he's now midtwenties and my youngest is in highschool and we still now have animals.

What about getting beds, rugs soft comfy throw rugs just for your pets to put in the house. I think it's somewhat unfair too. I just could never leave my pets outside to mostly and then only in the garage. How do they keep cool in the garage on hot summer nights or warm in the winter in there?

it's just me but I'd get rid of some furniture and stuff, different shaped tables, etc. to make room for my animals. I'm in a small place too and we have a mastiff and a lab mix dog and a cat with four of us here fulltime and my son isin andout with his girlfriend. We all sleep in the house.

Just get them inside rug beds and train them to the beds with treats. A treat when they come to you at the their bed and another treat when lay down, another for wait.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My dogs live with us inside an apartment, so they definately get attention but we just recently had to give our pekingese away. We've had him for 3 years but he started peeing on the furniture because we, stupidly, didn't get him fixed in time. I tried crating him, and everything and nothing worked.. He's at my parents right now living outside because their dogs don't come in and it breaks my heart to go from living inside all day every day to living outside.. Pets are family, no matter how you look at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2010