Would you have been surprised too?

I am just curious but the other day I was babysitting a little boy he is going to be 2 yrs. old I had him in the playpen when I noticed he was sitting down with his little hand in side his diaper here I thought oh no he is playing with poop as I went over there to check it out I removed his hand and he had a little hard on...I was like no no keep your hands out of your diaper...lol I tried not to make it seem like something bad I just played it off but I was very surprised he was doing this even though I know we all do this bc it feels good...just needed to share....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no I would not be surprised. Yes little boys get erections. Yes they wonder what it is and play with it.

I am surprised by a 2 year old in a playpen though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My son has been doing that for awhile and he isn't 2 yet. It would have not surprised me at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• lol no my boys seemed to touch thierselves some at that age, I didn't make a big deal about it and now they don't usually so........its just they are "exploring"
    Anonymous

• It is super common. Their bodies are growing and they're feeling new things, and it's only natural to explore.
    Don't tell him "No keep your hands out", because he has every right to do as he pleases with his body. Just ask him "Do you need some alone time?" Just calmly talk to him, and yes he can understand even at 2 years old, that there's a time and place for that. It's natural, never discourage it, and just let him have his alone time when he's doing it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• They are getting a point where they have the freedom to kind of explore their bodies and they love the fact that they can have an effect on their outside world. They like knowing they can manipulate their environment, even if that includes their own bodies. Just remind him to do that in private. That isn't something you do in public and if that is enforced at an early age, then there should be no problem with it as he gets older either.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• haha.. no, I wasn't surprised but I did have to re-read the age and playpen comment...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• No. Children touch themselves as young as in the womb. Little boys get erections their whole life. He may have been playing with it because it felt good. He could just have easily been curious about it. Not a big deal.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 2:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't make him think it's something bad. As they get older, it's important to teach them that it's something private, but not bad. I take care of two 2-year old boys and have a 5 year old boy myself and they've all gone through phases with it. It is surprising the first time you see it happen, though!
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 7:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2010