PA question. I get $797/month in food stamps...and no, I am NOT joking and this is NOT a fake post.

For my family of 6, with an income of $887/month, we receive 797 in food stamps. I know it's an insane amount, and I have told our PA caseworker that we don't need that much. But since that is the amount we qualify for, that's how much we get. Would it be a bad thing or illegal if I donated some food to missions or food banks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• No it's giving back is the way I would look at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It's really not an insane amount.

We're a family of 5, income of about 800, FS $667

What I do is every month or 2, clean out the canned and boxed goods from the pantry that I haven't used and donate those. I wait until I get more FS so that just in case, I'm not starving because I donated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• If you brought it to their attention and they wont do anything about it, I don't see what it would hurt donating food to food banks. Anyone who does complain about you doing that is insane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• How would they know if you donated anyway? Around here if you donate they don't take your name or anything.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Cont :57-

That's about $133.00 per person a month if you look at it that way (which is the way they look at it) it doesn't sound that insane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I wouldnt do that..you may not think that you wont use that much but you will be suprised how much more groceries you will but since you do have food stamps. Fresh fruits and veggies are getting really expensive...id say save it for your family who may need it. What happens if for some reason the cut you off of the foodstamps and you have no money left on your card because you donated? They wont take the left over money off your card. If i was you i would keep it for your self. Eat healthier because now you can since the government is paying for you to do so .. Thats what i do .. i get $696 for me and my 3 kids..it helps out so so so much .! So just keep it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I guess you guys are right. Thanks. I just feel bad about getting so much, I guess. I like to help others when I can so any extra FS isn't really needed. I think I will start going through my extra stuff at the end of the month so I don't feel like I'm breaking rules by buying things for people other than my family. That way things my family end up not eating won't go to waste and I won't feel so bad and I'll be helping other people all at once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Do you know a needy family? Co workers in need of help? A gallon of milk & extra meats would come in very helpful.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would. If you are getting more food than you need, or more money for food than you need... Why not share... They do specify that you don't SELL it, but there is no reason you can't GIVE it away!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• no i would go for it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010