confused on the ultrasound

I am a mother of a 2 year old girl and now I am 19 weeks pregnant with my second child--I had an ultrasound in which the technician pointed out that it was a girl. It does not look like a girl, it looks like a sac. Not a b shape, a hamburger shape or the lines. So we looked at the video and right before the baby turns you can see a weird shape triangle, kind of a little hill sticking out between the legs, and then you can see the sac that she pointed at. when I asked what makes you so sure--she said I don't see a penis, but she didn't see the female part either--I don't know what a boy's ultrasound looks like so I can't be sure. Should I get a second opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If that will make you feel better then go ahead. The techs aren't always right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Perhaps your doctor would be able to interpret the ultrasound. The doctor might say oh yes this is what this image means. In other words, I think I'd ask the doctor before seeking another opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 10:15 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would go again.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:16 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When i had my son's ultra sound done.. She got the bottom and leg shots and you deff knew what was sticking out between his legs...lol you could not mistake it!!!!!!!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• An US is not always 100% you can't ever know for sure until they are born. But if it makes you feel better, ask for another US or ask for someone else to interpret the pictures.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i wouldn't get a 2nd opinion because i prefer to limit u/s exposure. i wouldn't believe it was a girl either. everything i have read says that 'NO PENIS' does not equal girl. actually seeing labia = girl =) good luck!
    Anonymous