Has anyone gotten pregnant with an IUD?

I have an IUD-- I've had it for over 2 years now-- and my period is now 5 days late and I'm afraid I might be pregnant, which makes me nervous of what the IUD could do to the fetus!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• take a HPT but also see your OBGYN. there is a slight possibility you are pregnant. if you are pregnant there are several things:
    •if it is actually in your uterus (which would be great) you need it taken out ASAP. there is a higher risk of miscarriage.
    •you could have a tubal pregnancy... in which case you will need surgery to remove the embryo because it will grow and rupture your fallopian tubes and it will be PAINFUL beyond belief.
    however, if you have been stressed or something lately, that could cause you to be late. BUt i would call your OBGYN and/or take an HPT.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• First take a breath and go buy a test. If it is negative take another one in a couple days. Second I have a very consistent 32 day cycle since getting my IUD, but I have had one cycle that was 48 days a few months ago and had me totally freaked out. I took 5 pregnancy tests in the 16 day time frame. If the HPT comes back positive then you need to get into your OB NOW so they can assess whether they need to or even can remove the IUD. My midwife says that occasionally they cannot remove the IUD safely and leave it there and she has seen an ultrasound form a colleague where the fetus was holding the IUD and was born holding onto it! The baby was fine BTW! Oh and are you on the Mirena or Paragard? I ask because the Mirena has hormones that often effect periods and sometimes get rid of them all together. The Paragard (which I have) has no hormones and usually makes periods heavier/longer.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010