Taking forever to eat

So my step son is 4 years old. He seriously takes 2 or more hours to eat breakfast and dinner!!!! He doesnt say he's full, and he's feeling fine. He just takes tiny itty bitty bites or gets distracted so easy! Right now we have to eat in the living room bc we're getting cabinets and they're filling our dining room. But even when eating at the table, he would just seriously take forever. It sucks for my husband, bc when he gets home we eat dinner and a lot of times my SS is still eating at bedtime, so they dont get to spend much time together. What do I do???? (o and I've seen it on Nanny 911 they made the kid sit and eat what was an appropriate amount of food before getting down, so I dont feel so bad lol). I dont even give him that much, so that maybe he'll eat it in a reasonable amount of time then if still hungry asks for more. Well, except for mac n cheese and mashed potatoes, but we cant eat that everyday!

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he's still eating, and not getting down or stopping to actually play, I'd just let him eat at his pace. I lived in France for awhile and we all stopped what we were doing and sat down to eat for a couple of hours at a time... Have your husband sit at the table and talk with him.
    Anonymous

• We had a similar problem for a while. We set a timer for the kids to eat. When the timer went off, dinner was over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I understand your frustration, as it annoys me that my son takes awhile to eat too, and he doesnt take near that long! What I do if my son seems to be taking an unusually long time, its normally that he doesnt really like what hes eating.. so we tell him he has to be finished by a certain time (giving him at least 20 mins after everyone else is done) or he gets no (dessert, cocoa,etc).
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 3:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2010