Can stress that happened a few hours one day, harm the baby?

Something very upsetting and stressful happened at work on Wednesday. I cried pretty hard for a little bit and then was stressed out the remainder of the evening on and off. I lost sleep over it. The next day I felt better but still a tad stressed here and there. I am 15 weeks along so it's not like I have those reassuring kicks yet. I have no symptoms that something is wrong but still a little concerned my brief emotional time could cause a miscarriage or something to be wrong with the baby. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You'll be fine. My mother died while I was pregnant, and since my father had already died I had to plan the funeral and everything. VERY stressful and over whelming, but my son was FINE :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:37 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• If that was the case...a lot of babies would have problems. Our society is FULL of stress right now. But I did worry about that myself with my first child...I was under a lot of stress during most of the pregnancy...and he's fine.
    Don't stress over the stress! lol. Baby will be okay. GO kick your feet up and take an easy day.
    :)
    Hope you feel better today!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i agree that your baby will be fine. =)

now i am a believer that being stressed out does affect babies, but that would be if you were over-stressed everyday for a long period of time imo. the stress hormones running through your body affect the baby too.

but it's kind of like how caffeine affects babies. if you have 50 mg of caffeine every hour everyday for weeks, that might seriously affect your baby. 100 mg of caffeine at lunch one day? no biggie =)
    Anonymous