Could my daughter have strep throat even if i don't see white spots on her throat?

Dr. sent her home last week saying it was just a cold, she is still compalining on a really bad sore throat where she can't swallow. i am taking her back to Dr later today

New2Florida

Asked by New2Florida at 10:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • Yes, my son has had strep throat twice and never had white spots. He was given antibiotics both times but the second time around his pedi said something that I thought was pretty interesting. He said that the antibiotics only help prevent him from speading it to others, left untreated it would go away on its own in the same amount of time. It also does nothing to help the pain. We just used the sore throat strips for kids and gave him plenty of liquids and rest. Hope your daughter feels better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yes! I worked at a pediatrician office before and seen it happen a lot. The child comes in with sore throat and fever. They do a rapid strep test, it's negative. Only to have the child come back days later with strep. I think it takes a few days to develop. Good luck. Make sure they do a Mono culture to be sure it's not Mono too.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 11:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Yep! I have had strep throat A LOT. And there were a few times when I just knew I had it and the doctors at the e.r. room would look and say no right away because there were no spots, but then the test would come back postive.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• it's really hard to say my son had a real sore throat and fever and I took him to the doc and it's caused by an ear infection and pretty bad bronchitis
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2010