Why do people blame things like too much t.v., playing too many video games, riding in a stroller after they can walk, etc. on kids being overweight/obese?

When, in all reality, it's the parents fault for not feeding them healthy, not making them have some outside time, etc. My son has all the movies and video games and consoles a kid could want, he is getting a computer for his birthday. He does not have any limits on the about of time he spends on these things...Why? Because, he get fed healthy food, he has been instilled with the knowledge and the want to be/stay healthy and chooses to spend time running and playing outside. He will be 14 next month...he is 82lbs. He has never been overweight. So, you see, that stuff doesn't cause obesity, parent contribute to that. Society always blames other things instead of parents. Parents forbid these things in the house like they are what will cause it. Why not allow them, but, do your job?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 10:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow, everyone should be perfect like you. 14 and 82 lbs. sounds anorexic to me so maybe you are not perfect after all

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Not all parents help thier child/children to balance all activities. I think tv/video games is okay as long as it doesnt take over a kids life and sometimes I even pull the plug on my son and make him go out to play. Everything is okay in moderation. As for the stroller thing..well, I think thats just stupid...unless someone is carting thier kid around in a stroller at 6 years old or something.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• it is the parents fault. Most parents are also very fat and will have fat kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Actually, ANON, his doctor says he is fine. He is 5' tall, anymore weight on him and I would be on the other side of this question. He wears size 14 clothes, which, makes him right on target. So, maybe your kid is fat and you are jealous. THXKBYE.

Thanks, kimberlyinberea, Yay, for pulling the plug when neccessary. That's what I mean. And, my son did ride in the stroller until 5 if we were out all day walking somewhere. LOL His legs would get tired.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• How about because America is uneducated and lazy? Most are not very good at moderation so they ban it to make sure problems don't happen. Some just don't want to deal with the fights that can/will follow so they will just not start it so there is no fight. And I have NEVER hear anyone say riding in a stroller after they start walking causes obesity.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is the parent's fault...you're right. Yes junk food, and lack of physical activity cause childhood obesity. If your kid is sitting in the house all day playing video games and they get fat, its the video game's fault...its YOURS for allowing that. When I was little, there were like 1 or 2 fat kids in my classes at school. Now it seems that 1/2 the class is fat. Parent's have the authority...but I guess its always easier to blame someone/thing other than yourself.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• gee.. braden... insulting ones child by saying maybe ur kid is fat.. really thats low to insult someones child in a personal retaliation attack.... and no offense but having all the video games and what not for your child A. makes it sound like you'd rather your kid be mindless and in front of a screen vs outside or reading/ learning, and gammie.. not all FAT parents have FAT kids.. actually being "fat" myself... i try harder to make sure she dont have the same problems i had from being overweight so i watch and monitor what she eats and what she sees me eat as well.. but healthy eating is NOT the only way to set an excample to monitor weight .. sorry
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Sorry, I didn't also mention that we have enough books to fill a library, too. Geez. I didn't have enough room to list my entire life story, on a small section to list general info. Not to mention, she called my my son anorexic...uh, yeah. I believe that was called for in her case. I promote being intelligent, he has a vocabulary to rival most and he is a vast array of knowledge, the likes of which I have never seen. He has corrected teachers on thier spelling, grammer and info they pass out in class. He has gotten many thank you's for that. He is always on a search for info. If he hears anything he hasn't heard of before, he doeas research on it. He has read, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, He read the Bible because he wanted too. I mean, this wasn't about my son, I was asking why they blame those things...why not be active in your child's life?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• well there are alot of grey areas to this. If your child sits in front of the tv all day, eating junk and not moving that yes it adds to the overweight problems . Seriously anyone will gain weight eating more calories than they work off. But you also have to take into account genetics and body type too. Noone should have a sedetary lifestyle even if you do not become excessively fat it adds to health problems. McDonalds is not to blame for fat kids. No child has ever died cause mom and dad said no to eating there 7 times a week. I treat my kids to fast food-very rarely. Eat there every day your going to develope health problems. When it comes down to it it's mainly the parents fault. I was watching a show th oter night about a kid who was over 600 pounds. He wanted gastric by pass. Doctor said he had to eat healthier and lose weight before that came about cause he was too heavy ofr it to be safe.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• she said he SOUNDS anorexic.. you all out said sorry your kid is fat.. sorry that was a bigger insult.. and i am very active in my babies life but she is napping right now but thanks :) shes only 14 months not 14..and i guess in your case if some one says something it requires a return insult , ever heard of being the bigger person? or is that out of your vocab as well? and thanks for telling me how smart he is, it really shows that kids may be smart even if their mother is not thanks for that reassurance :) oh fyi your fat yourself good chance genetics will catch up then your son will be fat too, then come back and talk now good day
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2010