Juice, Milk, Water?

my son is a few days shy of 16 months and we just had his first dental appointment. He was so good and it went really well! They did tell us that he should only drink water between meals. Does anyone else do just water? My son LOVES his juice and milk anytime he can get them. We're really big on pushing fluids too. He will drink water and he always has a cup full of it that he can drink from even when he has a cup of juice/milk. I was just wondering if anyone else stayed strict on the water only thing. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do pretty much only water with my toddlers. I have a 2 and 1 year old. They get milk with breakfast, and occasionally with another meal during the day, juice only on occasion. We've pretty much always done this though, so it's just normal for them.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My older daughter (almost 3) won't drink milk with meals, but she only has two cups of it a day (first thing in the morning and after her nap). Otherwise she only drinks water... unless it's a really special occasion, then I sometimes let her have some juice -- but she knows she can't just ask for it and get it, and we don't keep any in the house anyway. My younger daughter (17 months) WON'T drink anything besides water... I've tried to get her to drink milk, soy milk, rice milk... nope. I've even tried juice just out of curiosity. Heck, she won't even touch a milkshake. So both my girls are just on water, besides the 16 oz a day of milk for the older one.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I give my kids water as much as I can. I try to start a good habit for them. As you get older it's harder to adjust your habits so I tried to start them out with it. They get milk in the am and with meals. Sometimes in between with snacks. Otherwise I have them get a glass of water if they ask for something to drink. They will even ask for water instead of milk sometimes at meals. We don't have juice very often. Especially for my two year old, it makes his diapers loose.
    Ponydriver

Answer by Ponydriver at 11:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My children drink only milk and water. No juice unless they are sick. It's empty calories, bad for your teeth, and really not any better for you than soda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Mu daughtr has never had juice and she will be 22 months old. Milk and water is all they need as do adults. She gets vitamin C from fresh fruit.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Juice has a lot of sugar in it. Water the juice down. To me milk is ok to drink. Just stay away from the sugary stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My kids get 1 glass of watered down 100% juice per day, with a meal. They get 1-2 cups of milk a day, with a meal. Their choice what they drink when, with meals. The rest of the day is water, including sometimes with meals if they'd rather or if they're sick.
    Anonymous

• i do all three. in regards to the juice.... i will give her oj and add alot of water. i also give her pear or prune juice with water (it helps her poops). i brush her teeth. im not worried about it.
    Anonymous

• My son only has juice on special occasions (like going to the doctor or a special treat when we go on a trip). He drinks mostly water during the day and has whole milk at breakfast and supper.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 12:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We do milk with meals (one cup/meal) and then water after that, or in between. He gets a cup of juice maybe once/week.

Answer by missanc at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010