(True or False) "Cooking from scratch" costs less than "Cooking from processed products".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• If all you eat is high fat crap (like Mac & cheese), then no. For the most part, yes.

If I were to buy prepared & processed foods A) my family would suffer poor health from of a poor diet B) I would be unable to afford to feed them. Processed foods are more expensive than raw, uncooked ingredients.

Green Without Much Means

I feed a familu of 5 (including breakfast/lunch, and pack SO's lunch 5 days a week) on $300/mo

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Some times it is. But not all the time. It is healthier for you I would think to cook from scratch.

Answer by louise2 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• In the long run I do think you get more product for your money. The initial costs may be more. But you can also make more food, freeze it and have easy dinners later.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Well If I'd buy a box of mac & cheese that would be cheaper than making it from scratch.

The answer is False.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It depends on what you are cooking. Even on the things that do cost more to make from scratch, you often get better quality even if it costs more. It also depends on if you shop sales, clip coupons, etc.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• True for most things. There are of course, a few exceptions. But when you consider the quality and over all healthfulness of the food, it's true. My homemade macaroni and cheese may cost more to make than boxed, but it's a Hell of a lot healthier, and makes a much larger batch.
    Anonymous

• Well it depends on what you mean by cost. Financially, cheap processed foods cost less money, but you don't get as much food or nutrition as you do by making meals from scratch. I box of mac n cheese might cost $1. But it is only enough for 2 people. For roughly $3.50, you can buy a big box of elbo noodles & an 8oz block of real cheese and serve a family. Then you also know that they are getting vitamins & minerals without the artificials that are in the powdered cheese flavoring.

Cooking from scratch is more cost effective overall in terms of money & nutrition.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Both. It really depends what you're making. But from scratch is a heckuva lot healthier than from processed junk!
    Anonymous

• *family
    ObbyDobbie

• I'm going to say false. While I think cooking from scratch is healthier for you, I think it is more expensive. If you already have the staples it might be cheaper. If you do not it will probably be more expensive.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 12:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2010