Bat Mitzvah gift?

I'm not Jewish so...Do ppl usually give money or something else? If money, how much? Hubby and I will be attending.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Entertainment

• Money is generally an appropriate and acceptable gift. I wouldn't give less than $20 and it's not uncommon for people to give $100 or more but that's generally only for family and very close family friends. My husband rec'd close to $10,000 at his Bar Mitzvah 30 years ago, his family knew a lot off very well off people and they gave very large monetary gifts.

Anonymous

• do amounts of 18
    multiples of 18 have meaning in the Jewish faith. Do the research that way you learn a lil something before attending.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Ok thanks. I did research it and heard the $18 thing. Lol so is $118 a good amount? They are close family through marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• If you give a financial gift, it should be in multiples of 18: 18, 36, 54, 72, etc. 118 is 100 plus 18 and is not a multiple. I prefer to give a meaningful gift, such as candlesticks for Shabbat. If there is not a Judaica store in your area, here is a link to a really nice one in Chicago: www.alljudaica.com

Feel free to ask me any questions at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2010