Do we just continue to extend Unemployment benefits while DC politicians spend?

Stimulus money was suppose to recover the economy and provide jobs, right?
Instead the stimulus was full of waste. Just a few examples:The State of Illinois is spending your stimulus money on road signs to announce to drivers that the construction you are passing is being paid for with, you guessed it, your stimulus money. Senator Tom Harkin's nearly $2 million earmarked for swine odor research in Iowa. In Portland, Oregon, stimulus in the amount of $1 million on covered garages for people's bicycles.
-----
So, they spent over 700 billion. Did they get it right? People are still losing jobs...
If they got it right, why is the government wanting to continue paying out on unemplyment extensions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ummm yep, looks that way. Unemployment is once again trending upward. No matter what the GDP says if thepeople don't feel better and start getting jobs his approval will not go up. He has to keep giving them unemployment. Of course it may stop next year when the Dems lose their seats as well as their edge. It will be a great test for the Republicans.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• YUP
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• The problem is that there are liberals out there who criticize those who disagree with the continued spending~as heartless... It doesn't matter that DC libs spent 800 billion on a Stimulus that was suppose to improve the economy and create jobs. Here we are... Consumer Confidence is WORSE. Unemployment is still at record levels. Foreclosures are mounting..... So, instead of reanalyzing the pet projects that liberals conned the American People into believing would somehow HELP the country, they  claim they need more. They are using those on unemployed as their ploy to get more money to spend.... So liberals currently in Congress have a free pass to spend spend spend and will continue cry they need more for U.B. They know they can make opposition look bad on this one..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I recently noticed some road work being done near one of the suburbs here. It proudly announced it was because if the recovery act... except the road that was being worked on was fine in the first place, wth?

That's great that they want to extend benefits and all, I will benefit from that, yet again. However, what I'd rather have is a job that pays enough money to help feed my family. My benefit money doesn't cover much (and it shouldn't... it's kept me job hunting, that's for sure), but if I can't even find a job because there are none, then what's the point? I'm tired of being dependent on the gov't, but I know that's what they want for all of us eventually. I hope the Republicans can take advantage of all of this... at this rate I'll be living off the dole until at least 2012.
    Anonymous

• What choice do we have? Obama followeres ar eyou happy with the changes?
    Anonymous

• Says it all!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Well, I am conflicted about extending UC. It sure does help out, it's keeping a roof over my head, and the lights on. But I would much rather be able to EARN money instead of just having it deposited into an account for me. It really messes with your ego, your self-esteem, your feeling of self-worth.......basically, when you CANNOT find a job for more than 2 years, you really feel like a total failure. If I didn't have this little bit to keep going with, who know where I and my family would be now. It sucks big-time, but I keep hoping, and trying.... I really would prefer a job, don't really care about benefits at this point, just to be able to earn my own way again..... But I do not think that this is what the stimulus was supposed to do, keep paying me because those in DC got everything all messed up for the rest of us.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Lori, I just LOOOOVE that graph. Makes me feel like I made the right choice every time I see it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Under "normal" circumstances, where there are jobs available and people just aren't finding them, unemployment keeps people unemployed longer - they don't look as hard in the middle of it as they do when it's about to run out. Problem is, this isn't "normal". If you cut off extended u/e for anyone who was laid off more than 6 months ago tomorrow, it wouldn't make jobs materialize for them on Monday, they'd just be out of work and not have any way to keep the heat turned on.

It was on the local news yesterday that some company town will be adding 29 new jobs by the end of the year. 29 jobs, over 10k out of work, but those 29 are so rare they are newsworthy. Add them to the 30 ads in the paper and we only have 9941+ out of work, whether they get U/E benefits or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• No they didn't get it right for us, but then, they are not for US! If they were, things would not continue to get worse but there are those who say he hasn't had enough time, time isn't the issue, it's money, they are out of it! Why would they need so much money now for h/c and we see no benefits for 2 or more years? They keep saying we have to do this now! They get our $$$ NOW, we get to pay for their elite standard of living!

They spend like there is no tomorrow but tomorrow is on the way and it will prove to be a bad day. What happens when your state says, we have NO $$$ to pay unemployment, s.s. or anything else, can you even imagine what happens when the welfare check doesn't show up? People are under the assumption that the gov't has an unlimited supply of $$$, well, they've spent it all & they can't do without but for the fundamental good of the collective, we will be glad to do without for them, right?

2
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010