Is this stuttering?

I don't think it's stuttering, but I don't know what it is. My daughter gets stuck on certain letters repeating the sound over and over but not always. She almost always repeats t at the end of a sentance, and occasionally s and p. She talks slow, so she's not trying to say it fast. The repeated sounds are quiet almost whispered. She is 2.
Here is an example:
"You want..t...t....t to eat it...t...t.....t?"

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I don't think it's stuttering either. I'd keep an eye on it and if she didn't stop within the year, maybe have it checked, but it sounds like she's just playing with sounds to me.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• yes
    Anonymous

• DS is 10mos, and he will say Yes.ssss...ssss..ssss, I think he's just playing with sounds, sounds the same with your daughter. If you notice it's getting more and more frequent on particular sounds and not others, you might have her examined, but it doesn't sound to be alarming to me. If it was just her saying, "You want..t...t....t to eat it..." then MAYBE... but she'd most likely get hung up on the "i" in "it" and sound more like, "i i iii it.." Since she's throwing it in on the end, I think she just likes the sound.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When you talk to dear daughter when you say words that end in t, k, r g, consenants try saying all of your words slowly and clearly, firmly with that last said most clearly and fast ...

see tha t do g i t is c(k) u te

Little kids in their two's are great parrots -they love to repeat talk how they hear it, not saying that she hears from you stuttering but she is for some reason. One of my kids stuttered very very young and years later now occasionally does still.

When it was clear that stuttering when she was a preschooler was a speech pattern for her not and not an excited way of talking, I would gently prompt her privately in her ear at the beginning of her talk each time with the word gentle, that reminded her to talk slowly and that who ever was listening would listen without rushing her.

At three years old a lot of school districts will give speech therapy sometimes preschool too for kinderg. readiness.
    Anonymous

• my daughter will repeat entire words and even sentences if she feels like she doesnt have them right. i just ask her whats she is trying to say and that will usually help her. I honestly cant blame her for repeating because when she finds a new word, we repeat it until she says it correctly.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My dd does the EXACT same thing! DH says it's not stuttering but I think it is. DD is 27 mos and this started about a month or so ago. idk how to correct it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I wanted to add it seems to only come up when she's either excited or sad. I think it has something to do with making their own phrases because when she repeats ours she has no problem! I think if it doesn't correct itself in a year or so we should look into getting it corrected!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My son still does something like this--usually when he's wound up telling a big story. He is 5. I think he will outgrow it as he matures and calms down a bit. He'll say, "Why-y-y-y-y-y-y-y do you need to go to to to to the store?" Or something along those lines. I certainly don't think you should be too worried about it at age 2. =)
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 6:15 PM on Feb. 27, 2010