Do you make your own tomato sauce or do you buy RAGU so to speak?

If you do your own sauce. Would you share your recipe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We throw the tomatoes from our garden in a blender raw with skins seeds and all and then dump that in a large pot and boil it down. We throw in some Italian seasoning and oregano and salt and pepper and then taste it as it boils down and add more of whatever we think is needed. Oh and we also chop up garlic and onion real fine and throw that in at the beginning too. We then can it and use it instead of store bought through out the year. We tried putting in chopped up veggies like peppers and zucchini one year and the kids didn't like it so maybe again in a few years as they get older we will try again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I use Ragu :) way easier and I know it'll taste the same every time LOL
    Anonymous

• I buy Classico.
    Anonymous

• Same here I prefer Ragu Sauce
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 12:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I make my own, it lets me mix up the flavor whenever I want :)
    senmel79

Answer by senmel79 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i buy the walmart brand. its the same thing, but cheaper and i add meatballs.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Dice 5 roma tomatoes, half an onion, 2 cloves of garlic. In a hot deep pan pour olive oil and throw in the onions, garlic, and some red pepper flakes. Make sure to not burn the garlic or onions, just until the onions are becoming translucent. Throw in lean ground beef (15/ 85 fat) and brown. Do not let the ground beef cook completely, or it will get tough just brown it and cook it about half way thru. Then throw in tomatoes, add parsley, and any italian herbs and spices at this time including salt and pepper. and simmer for about 30 min.stir occasionally. This is just my regular meat recipe but I tweek this one and add mushrooms and other veggies like bell peppers from time to time. My favorite is when I add louisiana hot sauce to the mix with bell peppers. That's a great spicy spaghetti!!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I usually buy Newman's Own Marinara and doctor it up a little. It's one of the more affordable, less processed sauces. If one of the Premium brands (like Bertolli is on sale I will get that). I don't like the ingredients list on Ragu.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I love Prego..But this summer I did can some tomatoes from my garden then I added some tomato paste and my own spices , and it was very good .But for an every week thing Prego..I don't like Ragu cause it has a lot of onions in it..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 1:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When I'm doing quick pasta for the kids I use Prego, but when making a big spaghetti dinner or lasagna or something like that I make my own sausage sauce....The recipe is in my head, but I brown hot and sweet sausage (no casing) and mush it into a very fine crumble, add garlic and onion, green and red peppers, mushrooms....a large can or 2 of just plain tomato sauce and the secret ingredient, lol, golden mushroom soup, 2 cans...NOT cream of mushroom soup, it must be golden mushroom.... add maybe a can of water and a little sugar....fabulous. I could eat it like soup its so good =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010