Do you think they should raise the legal age to get married?

Right now, all across the United States, the legal age to get married is 18. With the exception of a few states where you can get married at 17. I think they should raise the legal age to get married to 24 or 25. Why? Because, when a person is 18, (guys or girls) what they want at that age will NOT be the same thing they want when they are 25. When you're 18, you're just starting out in life. Why not live a little, get to know yourself, who you are and what you really want, before making such a life-altering decision as marriage? If the legal age to marry was set higher, I believe there would be far less divorces and broken families, because then people getting married would be older and more mature when making this kind of decision. I know that personally, if I had waited until I was 25 or 26 to even start looking for someone to marry, I would have had a MUCH happier life. Maybe that's just me...but I doubt it.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 12:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• you just asked this!

not getting the responses you wanted?
    Anonymous

• I dont know when it was changed but when my mom got married in the 60's, the legal age for men in MO was 21 but it was 18 for women.
    Anonymous

• If it posted twice, it was because when I posted it the first time, it came back to me with NO QUESTION FOUND...so I had to repost it, DUH. let me find the other one and delete it.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• There...I deleted the other one. Happy now? Some people have their panties in a twist this morning!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• No I don't think it should. Whether ppl get married or not, they will still get pregnant and still live together whether they have a piece of paper saying anything. I got married at 19 and I'm still married today and I'm 36. I think if anything, they should stop girls from being able to get pregnant until age 25. That would solve a ton more problems than stopping them from getting married.
    Anonymous

• Um...thanks for that, but the question was not about girls getting pregnant or people living together. I asked if they should raise the legal age to get married....why answer with something that has NOTHING to do with what was asked.

HOWEVER you are right when you say about not letting girls get pregnant until they are older. THAT is a definite great idea.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think what happens in marriages is that time either brings people together or makes them separate. I don't think that attempting to force marriage til later will make any difference. Hormones are still there, without castration in men and without beauty ads for women and products, the hormones are still with us all.

I wish somehow churches or temples, I think more people get married there than in city halls, I wish that churches or temples would have monthly mandatory group roleplaying with different scenarios of couples' situations in life and how to overcome them.

I know there's a separation of church and state but wouldn't it be wonderful if a couple almost married or even married could be guaranteed 500 dollars even 300 back from taxes on top of their own return amounts, if the couple did community service roleplaying as couples.

What sure needs to be raised til even 22yo is driving age!!! Too many accis. 16-20!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It sure would cut back on the divorce rate.
    Anonymous

• Anon here.. It does have exactly something to do with what you asked.. and if you are going to be a bitch about questions then I think YOUR the one with your panties in a twist!! I was explaining that even if you changed the legal age to get married, that couples would move in together and have kids and just wait it out. It would still possibly cause a divorce the same way. Seriously though, you need a life to jump all over me for answering your stupid ass question.
    Anonymous

• no i got maary at. if i coult get marry in the us i would have gotten marry in another conutry
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010