eye gunk on my 3 weeks old...

okay my son will be 1 month on the 3rd. ever since he was born he gets really bad eye gunk in his right eye, its always really watery, his next doctors appt. isnt until the 9th so i thought i would ask you ladies if this is something that i should be worried about or is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's probably a blocked tear duct and the doctor or nurse can show you how to massage gently in the corner of his eye to keep the duct open. When it's blocked, you get the gunk. My son had that, but I really don't remember how long it lasted, my memory is that it was a few months.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• my son had that. when he was first born he did not. he developed it at like i week old. and it lasted maybe a month. i called the doctor. he said it was a blocked tear duct and to massage it. just take your pointer finger and apply mild pressure in between the nose and corner of the eye and rub in a circular motion. it is supposed to help open up the duct. so i did this, and i would just take a warm wash cloth and wipe his eye throughout the day. it eventually just went away. good luck. btw... so people told me to squirt breastmilk in his eye bc it was an infection. i did not do this.
    Anonymous

• My middle son had it forever! OK well not forever but until he was 9 months old. We did the massage and it didn't really help much. At his 9month checkup his doc finally gave us some eye ointment. Once we started giving it to him it cleared up within a week. Most of the time it clears up on its own after a while.
    For now just wipe several times a day with a warm washcloth. Wipe from the outside corner around to the inside corner where the tear duct is. Do make sure to mention it to your doctor, but it can wait until your appointment.
    Congratulations on your LO :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• normal, blocked duct. congrats!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010