How do I get my toddler to start potty trainin??

She sits on the potty but refuses to go until she has her diaper/pull up on she is 2

2prinzess

Asked by 2prinzess at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds to me like she's not ready. Just because a child hits 2 years old doesn't mean they are physically or mentally ready for the potty. Just like every other life skill, some kids need more time/maturity.
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 2:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Is she holding it until you put a diaper on, or do you mean that she just hasn't happened to pee while sitting in the potty? Instead of sitting her on there waiting for something to happen, you can put her in underwear and a shirt and wait for an accident to start... then move her to the potty as quickly as you can. She should get what's supposed to happen pretty quickly that way. It's a method you can use if you don't mind cleaning up messes for a few days... I don't personally subscribe to the idea that kids are often not ready to train until way later. We did this with our daughter at 19 months. She was clueless about the potty before we stared (she had one she played on from time to time) and she trained in about a week. It may be a cinch if you do it at 3, but I personally would rather help a child learn earlier on and put a little more work into it. Many, many people don't agree with me, though.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2010