Do you and your kids have food allergies?

My son's test came back positive for allergies. He is allergic to peanuts, soy, and wheat. My dh and I don't have any allergies.

Energ8zr

Asked by Energ8zr at 1:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I know my son has intolerance to cheese, dairy, and other things.. the "other" things is what I am having a problem with. we have food allergies that run in my family but they won't test him because it would be inaccurate? And I've tried 3 diff ped's.. he gets major constipation and red spots and tummy aches all the time.. they told me I have to do food trials.... how did you convince your ped to get him tested?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• "how did you convince your ped to get him tested?"

Excellent question! Doctors don't do allergy test on children unless signs of allergic reactions. My son's rash wan not even considered an allergic reaction. But I HAD to insist.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• No, neither my kids or I have food allergies.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• See, I have insisted but they said it would be pointless and at this age, 100% inaccurate, which made/makes ZERO sense to me which is why I had 2 more opinions but got all the same answers and none of them would reffer me because "all": my son has is chronic on going constipation, bloating gas and "MY" reports of red spots after eating certain foods. Although I tell him he now crys of being sick/tummy aches and is having sleeping problem.. I mean, I am sure there is nothing compared to the reactions as your little one since he has peanut allergies and I know how terrible that is for an adult, let aolne a child,.. but I am at my wits end.. my son is uncomfortable and miserable and each "food trial" diagram I've gotten I am supposed to do for 2 months to make sure everything is out of his system and he Will not eat. I mean, will go days withotu eating..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My second daughter is highly allergic to peanuts. We don't know about tree nuts (allergist wouldn't test). Scary stuff. Neither my husband nor I have allergies.

Maxsmom... some allergists are more willing than others to test for things you're suspicious about. But you do need a referral from your pediatrician. I would document everything your son eats and his reactions. If you can't tell what the reaction is (if it's digestive, it's hard to know what it came from). just write down what he ate that day, that week... You may need to see another pediatrician if this one will not refer you to an allergist. But you'll want to have all that if you want tests done without a "reaction." Really, I would shop for a new pediatrician first. You can usually set up a one-time consultation free of charge-- not an evaluation of your son, but a place for you to ask them if they would refer your son if he were their patient.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thank you. I Am already on the search for a New Ped. and in fact 90% of Max's symptoms are digestive. So far, the furthest I've gotten was an appt with a Dietician. He rarely breaks out in rashes but almost everytime, he gets the painful bloating cramps and constipation and extreme stomach pains, which I've only known about the stomach pains since he's been able to talk..so the past couple months really.. before I could just assume his constant whining meant that.. I feel a bit "mad-at-the-system" because I have been passed off as "new mom" syndrome of worrying.. however, I would admit by now if that were the case and with food trials, Its hard to know if he's intolerant to say... gluten or wheat from something, you know? and that's what I can't seem to get across.. he has the foulest gas and stools..... I know poop stinks but the smell is unbearable actually! and that often times is caused by allergies in foods, I am lost ,,
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010