Wednesday Night Church Menu

We are a small church and we have around 25 to 30 people on Wednesday nights.
We are wanting to make some changes and this is one thing we all discussed as a church body that would benefit our families is that they could just come on to church and not have to worry about dinner. I myself love this because I will not have to spend money for a quick dinner for me, Dh, and 4 boys.

I am looking for quick ideas that do not take alot of preparation.

Advice needed also:
Should we have 2 to 3 people be responsible for a Wednesday night
OR
Just be potluck every other Wednesday?

Thank you for ANY advice or words of encouragement!

JLynn0871

Asked by JLynn0871 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you are trying to make it easier on everyone, then I would skip the pot luck idea. What if you created groups of about 4-5 each and rotated the responsibility? That's what we did for our MOPS group. Each person was only responsible to bring something every other month or so.

As for what to bring, I like to crock pot meals like soups, stews, pasta, etc.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We used to do this at our old church. Two couples would sign up for a Wednesday night and be responsible for bringing desserts and cooking the meals. The church would pay for what was needed for the meal part. The junior high group and senior high group took turns cleaning up after dinner.

We would have spaghetti & garlic bread sticks & salad; lasagna with the previous sides; taco salad; taco bar; casseroles with side dishes, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Our church has it catered and then people pay for the meal. It's like $3-4/adult and $2-3/kid and then there is a family maximum of $14. We have volunteers to set up, serve, and clean up. It's so nice not to have to worry about bringing something and it's still WAY cheaper than eating out! (I'm pretty sure there's a church fund for those that can't afford it, as well, I've just never asked)

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I guess I forgot to mention we do not have a working kitchen. We are in a temporary place and it has everything but a stove.
    We did have a guy at church suggest catering because someone could run by and get it.
    We are having a meeting on Sunday aftrnoon and I wanted something in place and you gals have really helped a tremendous amount and I cannot wait to see more ideas and past experiences listed!
    Thanks!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I just think sandwich stuff sounds easy.

Cold cuts, pimento cheese spread, pickles, condiments, sliced veggies, on pre-sliced Italian bread.
    Maybe a variety of chips.

Maybe a couple of punch bowls with trifle made of bite size pieces of angel food cake layered with instant pudding, crushed candy bars and caramel ice cream syrup. Spread top with a layer of Cool Whip.
    No cooking, easy clean up.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Easy, inexpensive, healthy meals: lentil sloppy joes; vegetable stew; a pot of curry with brown rice; sweet potato and bean burritos; etc.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2010