Baby keeps getting thrush :(

My 5 mo has thrush again for the 3rd time. I don't know what Im doing wrong or how to prevent it. I keep every thing VERY clean, sterilized, washed...whatever. Its really discouraging because it makes it painful for me to nurse her and it hurts her mouth. My nipples are cracked and bleeding and so ive been pumping to feed her but its not going away.And my pump SUCKS. She is on a prescription again and I think its a different one and its upsetting her tummy. So neither one of us is very happy! I have committed to nursing for one year but sometimes its so hard I just want to give up. I know nutritionally its what is best for her but sometimes I wonder if the pain she is going through is even worth it? I guess I just need some encouragement. My husband just says " jeez, breastfeeding must suck...but its so much healthier for her " Is there anything else I can do to soothe her pain?

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you joined the breastfeeding moms group? How about LLL?  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/preventing-thrush.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• You BOTH need to be treated and the treatment needs to continue for 2 weeks AFTER the symptoms go away. The best resource for treating thrush is at http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

Thrush is notoriously under diagnosed and under treated.  You can get over this!  Hang in there, you will be glad you did!!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• You have to be treated, too.
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Are you both being treated or just her? If the doc is just treating her then you need to make it clear to them next time that they need to treat you too. Personally the drugs the doc gave didn't work for us even with me being treated during all three rounds. I went to the pharmacy to pick up the third prescription and the pharmacist suggested genetian violet. Instead of seeing the doctor next time we tried the genetian violet. It was gone within a week and never came back. She was 3 months then and is still nursing at 32 months old!!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Besides both of you needing to be treated, you could also be giving it back to yourself with your pump - even if you are cleaning it thouroughly. If you're using pacifiers - toss them and buy new ones as soon as it's getting better. If you're using any bottles, they also need to be tossed & replaced. I had to replace EVERYTHING with my 3rd DD after she had it, because she gave it back to herself even though I boiled her stuff.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding doesn't cause thrush. Bottle fed babies get thrush. It's something babies get. There is no reason to blame breastfeeding for the baby having it. It's the reason you have it.

The baby, you and maybe your husband all need to be treated at the same time. I would never pump and give a bottles no matter how much it hurt. You can take pain meds. The pump or the bottles could be contaminated. The baby getting bottles and sucking different at your breasts can cause damage and pain.

Having repeated thrush infections is a warning sign for genetic immune deficiency diseases. I have an immune deficiency disease called common variable immune deficiency (CVID). All three of my sons have it and my only grandson. There are blood tests for immune deficiencies. Our disease is very rare but there are many immune deficiency disease. IgA deficiency may be as common as 1 in every 400 people and IgA protects the mouth.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• "Having repeated thrush infections is a warning sign for genetic immune deficiency diseases." Let's not give this mom something else to worry about!!! A 5 month old with thrush 3 times is by no means a red flag! This is very common and most likely due to the fact that it was under treated and baby and mom never got 100% over it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Clean yourself...
    Anonymous

• Ignore the ignorant anony troll.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Like the previous posters mentioned, you also need to be treated. No bf does not cause thrush but because it's so contagious it's very easily spread.

Here are a few tips:

Make sure to wash your breast with warm water before & after each feed, change your bra every day and nursing pads as much as possible. Also, try not to eat high sugary foods or yeast producing foods like:

Bagels
    Beer
    Bread
    Bread rolls
    Cider

Fruit skins, especially:
    Grapes
    Plumbs

Grape juice
    Malt beverages
    MSG (often extracted from autolyzed yeast extract or from wheat)
    Oxo Cubes
    Pretzels
    Sake
    Sour dough bread
    Wine

Yeast Extract:
    Bovril
    Cenovis
    Marmite
    Oxo
    Promite
    Vegemite

Over ripe fruits
    canned soups/food
    Donuts & Cakes
    Chocolate
    Soya sauce
    Mainly ingredient
    Anonymous