Invited to a birthday party but no gifts.?

Is this becoming more common? My nieces 5th b-day is coming up and we got an invite but it says no gift. I will obviously get her a gift because its my niece but I just don't understand it or agree w/ it.

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Some people think you are letting them off the hook by saying no gifts, and hope this will encourage more to come to the party. I think I might definitely consider it if I were inviting kids from my child's class at school. Also, some people really do want no gifts because their kids already have way too much. I've seen some that ask for donations in lieu of gifts, and I think that is ok. Really I'd rather just send and receive regular, old-fashioned invitations that don't say anything about gifts, but I do think this is becoming more common.

Anonymous

• I dont care what anyones says i take a gift,you bet ill bring something that i know your kid likes,its their day and you bet ill bless them.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is getting to that point at our home, my girls have about everything they could ever want and are like me, very picky! So I can see why a parent would say no gifts, plus if the child did not like something it is a pain in the butt to take something back. With a family member though that is different I would take a gift. Our friends donate to charities like we do I would just ask that parent what charity they wanted money donated to and place a donation in that child's name if you feel like doing something.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We didn't say no gifts, but I did tell my friends that if they wanted to come we really didn't need or want gifts if they couldn't afford it. We are already to the point where DD has more than she needs, but getting rid of it or returning it would result in much drama and frustration with DH's family. When asked, we tell people what DD needs, and not what is cute or new. As a result, we got a month's worth of diapering supplies for Christmas from my grandma! She thought it was strange, but did it. As DD gets older, I would like to put a spending cap on what people get her, but I doubt it will go over well with DH's family. They are pretty obsessed with buying stuff for the little kids. I would say gift card or something since they requested no gifts, maybe a small gift like a dvd of her favorite tv show or movie.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2010