So what CAN I feed him.

My son is allergic to citrus, soy, dairy, sea food and peanuts/tree nuts.
he just got his Ige test back and it says he is also sensitive to eggs and gluten. Plus he has been taken off of all processed sugars and dyes for good measure. OMG. this child is getting harder and harder to feed. Anyone else have thisprobelm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• rice
    legumes
    most fruits and vegetables
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist, to help you learn how best to feed your family within your child's restrictions. I do have a few recipes that I think will work for you - feel free to send me a message offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• Seriously?? Oh mommy.. what were his symptoms to get to know all this?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• when my little brother was young and going through all the allergy stuff (he's allergic to a ton of stuff too) all my stepmom could really feed him without worry was potatoes...

best advice - talk to a nutritionist. they will know exactly what you should and shouldn't feed him.
    Anonymous

• I have some friends who has kids on a diet similar to that. I had my kids on a gluten free, casein free diet for a while so I can definitely sympathize! There are some cookbooks out there - I used to have the names, but don't anymore. Message me if you can't find any and I will get the names. My friends use really weird types of flour (not wheat flour because it has gluten) to make bread and other snacks for their sons. The one thing my boys really actually liked from their diet was rice milk and I know there are some other "fake dairy" products made with rice milk as well. I'm sorry I'm not more help!

Answer by missanc at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• There is no reason to avoid processed sugars. His diet is restricted enough. There are many experts that believe sugar is sugar and people make too big of a deal about it.

He can have meat, veggies, lots of fruits, & some grains. You should have gotten info sheets from the allergist with all the different things to look for when you read ingredients on packages. You may want to look into immunotherapy. You can ask the allergist for a referral to a nutritionist. You need to find out if he has to avoid all traces of the foods or if small amounts should be ok.

He will need to take vitamin supplements including calcium and vitamin D.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Wow, you really need to talk to a nutritionist. I know my SIL has a hard time with my nephew - he can't have gluten, dairy, sugars, and I don't remember what else, but these are the big 3. I know when they go out to eat they can only go to Perkins, and he gets eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and sausage (eggs are still safe with him). Fruits & veggies are all good, but no dips or sauces...pretty much any fresh meat (he has to be careful with some lunchmeats), they buy him special bread/buns...I think he uses soymilk for cereal (he can eat a few regular cereals and they also get some from the allergy-food aisle.....but your best bet would be to talk to a nutritionist, dietician, someone like that!
    Anonymous

• He could possibly drink hemp milk or rice milk.
    Any fruit that isn't citrus, veggies.
    I would recommend talking to a nutritionist though.
    Avoiding processed anything is a great idea. The best thing for everyone is to eat as much fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots less processed and packaged foods.
    He could also probably eat beans which are a good source of protein.
    There are tons of things out there that he'll be able to eat!
    Good luck momma!
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 2:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would call your allergist for a information on a local or on-line support group. We got that info from our allergist at our first appointment. I never did it because eliminating peanuts and tree nuts only has not been that hard... but I would start there if I were you. I'm sure moms share recipes and ideas on those discussion boards. There may even be meetings, depending on where you live. I'm sorry you're facing this. A friend of mine has a son who at one point had 18 food allergies. Good news is now it's down to 9 because they did such a good job making sure he was not exposed to the things he was allergic to, and he's starting to outgrow them.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My son has multiple food allergies, too (gluten, dairy, egg, soy, onion, lentils, peanuts), plus we don't allow artificial food dyes & flavorings or any food with an ingredient we can't readily identify as a real food. I make everything from scratch, which isn't as hard as it sounds, with only a few ready-made type convenience products because that is easier for me, but there really are loads of ready-made type things out there now for the food allergic person, so don't despair just yet. Absolutely visit the http://www.foodallergy.org/ website, because you will find loads of information & support there. Another website to check out is http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/. Your local healthfood store may have a nice selection of products to choose from, as well as places like WholeFoods Market and Right By Nature grocery stores if you have one nearby. There are also many places online, like Amazon, that offer specialty foods.
    Anonymous

• OP:: Did I mention he's picky too!

Tot he person who ask how I got started with all this testing:
    His true allergies developed over time. I knew about most of them by age 2.5 He is Autistic and out of desperation for some results we are trying the IgE testing and removing those foods as well. He does drink rice milk. he won't eat anything crunchy like raw carrots or dry cereal. His food has to be very soft. It's a texture thing. He is working with an OT on that. So his sensory problems just add more to it. It will be worth the effort I hope. :0)
    Anonymous