What age is appropriate to start wearing high heels?

My daughter is 8. I didn't think we would be anywhere close to this, but she has a larger foot and most of the "Easter" dress shoes we are seeing in her size (women's 5) at places have a little heel on them. Not really "high," I would say like 1". I'm having a really hard time deciding and wondering if it's just because I don't want her to grow up! Do you think this is too grown up for an 8 1/2 year old?

Asked by missanc at 2:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• aw a little heal won't hurt. it'll more than likely make her feel more like a princess :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Actually, a 1'-2' heel is good for you posture and feet and allignment. Higher and flat shoes aren't good.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• why dont you get a cute dressy flat. i suggest this bc that is just way more stylish than some ugly 1" heeled old lady white easter shoe. that is my opinion anyway. i feel short heels are more stylish and appropriate on a boot for an 8 year old, not an easter shoe. so if you buy cute flats than you wont even have the heel dilemma to think about anyway. but if she really loves a shoe with a little heel on it, then i say go ahead and get them. it isnt inappropriate and will make her happy.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• If your still a little buy her some cute dressy flats. Have you asked for her opinion on wearing heels yet? See what she thinks about it
    Anonymous

• .......if your still a little iffy...sorry

ANON1
    Anonymous

• A low heel is fine for dressing up I think. But not for everyday shoes.
    Anonymous

• Never. Heels are bad for feet. Girls over 16 may want to wear well made shoes with a small heel for special occasions.

How many princesses are there in the world? Why do people want to tell their little girls they are like a princess. Non-sexist childrearing is the healthiest. We don't want girls or women thinking they are anyone's princess.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• maybe when she said princess, she just meant special! call it whatever you want. dont you feel good when you think you look good? i do!
    Anonymous