what is your opinion about spanking your child?

im 18 weeks pregnant and i dont believe in spanking my child.
so how would i punish my child?
whats your opinion on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you'll change your mind when he or she becomes 2...even if you don't do it, you'll want to. good luck!
    Anonymous

• i spank my child with a belt
    Anonymous

• hmm my dd is 10months. Right now i dont want to spank her and i feel it is wrong....but what if the day comes that she did something totally wrong and there is just no other possible working way to get through to her?? than will i spank? idk
    Anonymous

• We spanked as my kid just reminded me "the beatings will continue til moral improves"
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• First I think you need to become a parent to gauge your opinion--you won;t really know until you are faced with a situation that may warrant it.

On another thread someone posted: "Spankings should be like a trip to DisneyWorld....rare, but memorable!" I think that sums up MOST parents' approach to spankings. And PLEASE don;t confuse a swat on the butt or back of the hand as being the same as "beating" a child or "child abuse!" Both are VERY different!

The FEW times I have spanked my children, one was due to my 4 year old running through a busy parking lot without looking, another time was when my then 3 year old pushed his 1 year old (learning to walk brother) down some stairs--you know "life or limb" reasons! Like I said, those spankings were memorable! Now I only have to threaten a spanking, and the both instantly stop the bad behavior.

Time outs and loss of privileges are my 1st and 2nd courses of punishment!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LOL @ Mouse. thats hilarioius!!
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Punishment does not teach good behavior. Spanking, time-outs, grounding, taking things away, ect. never teaches good behavior. Psychologists have known this for years. What it teaches kids is to be sneaky, to lie, to have worse behavior, to throw temper tantrums, to hit others, to punish others, and to resent or hate their parents and people in authority. Parenting that relies on punishment is called authoritarian parenting.

People on cm talk about popping their kids. That is a new term for hitting for moms that don't want to say their hit their kids.

Authoritative parenting is the most effective form of parenting. You can go to google and read more about it.

A good first book is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has another good book, Without Spanking or Spoiling. Her website is Star Parenting.

Mothering Magazine has great discussion boards www.mothering.com on parenting without hitting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think as a last resort it is appropriate at times. For general everyday discipline we use time outs when needed. But positive reinforcement is best. It totally depends on the temperament of the child as well. My 2nd is very compliant and always did "right" because he wanted to please me - I only had to give him the "mom eye" and he straightened up whatever he was doing. My 3rd on the other hand . . . she's a pistol! And she's been sent to her room more times than I can count - and she's only 8! It's amazing how different they are and what works for one child, won't for another. You just have to find what works for you and your child.

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Don't believe in it..That teaches children if people do something you don't like then just hit them..Its not good to teach that violence is an option when someone does something wrong..I have never hit my children , I love my children.

Anonymous

• Gaill, are you serious??? Even supernanny (whom i don't like and don't watch) says to use time outs!! Punishments DO teach good behavior. look at all the generations that have passed...only this one "frowns upon" spanking. ALL the generations that have punished their children via time outs, corners, or, yes, even spanking have made some of the most smartest people...as when i look around now, i see children that don't get punished (or as some would call it, disciplined) are spoiled rotten brats that run the show, their house and thier parents, and thinks the world revolves around them. seeing as how you're a grandma, you of all people should know this. just look around and remember "back when". unless you've lived in a bubble your whole life...
    Anonymous