Who here has kids involved in..

How many of you have children, or know someone who has children that are involved in EI (Early Intervention) ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do. My oldest, now 12, has autism and was involved in early intervention for a short period of time - he wasn't diagnosed until shortly before his 3rd bday. My 2nd, now 10, was in early intervention from the time he was 18 months. He's now mainstreamed and shows no signs of any delay. My 4th, now 15 months, has been in early intervention since 10 months. I had him evaluated early due to his brothers, and they found a receptive language delay. He's been in speech therapy through early intervention once/week for 5 months.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Both of my children had home Early Intervention until age 3, followed by an EI preschool (ages 3-5), and now a combination of Regular education and Autistic support in Kindergarten and 2nd grade. What did you want to know?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I know moms outside of cm who have had kids in ei. One child started school at age 3 and went to an out of neighborhood school until third grade then he went to his neighborhood school. Another child repeated kindergarten in an out of neighborhood school and also stayed out of neighborhood until third grade.

Sometimes kids pre kindergarten can get speech therapy or physical therapy in their homes instead of in a school and then continue on in a school setting once they hit kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• Now, do you think EI is a great program for kids?
    OP
    Anonymous

• I had 1 E.I., he started after his 18 months when he completely withdrew from almost everything, talking, interacting with the family. The program was wonderful.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010