How do I discipline a boy who finds amazement with everything?

My son is 2 1/2 and he has been pushing boundaries until his Dad and I are almost ready to break. We have tried taking away his "big boy toys" such as matchbox cars, and other toys with small parts. He has just as much fun with his baby toys, stuffed animals, blocks, etc. We take those away, and he still finds something to "play" with and have a good time. What can we do to discipline him? He has recently decided to stop eating his meals during meal time and short of shoving things down his throat there is nothing we can do. Help! Any suggestions?

IvoryRaven09

Asked by IvoryRaven09 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I"m in the same boat as you. To anon 1:54... not all kids will do time outs *gasp* don't be so rude.
    Mental illness... give me a break.
    2 1/2 year olds are crazy in their own right. The only things that have worked for us is putting him in his room to "settle down" He cries and comes out, it was hard at first. Now when he starts to freak out we can say "go to your room and calm down- noone wants to be around you when you are screaming/hitting/etc" He usually goes in, comes back out- has to go back in and then comes out (in 2-3 minutes) pretty much over the situation. He is allowed to play with all of his toys and read his books while in his room- we just do not tolerate him acting likea crazy banshee in our general living space. When he comes back out we act excited to see him and do not dwell on why he had to go in there. The less attention we give his negative behavior, the less he does it.
    Anonymous

• um...have you tried time outs? you put him in a spot where there's no toys for him to reach....*gasp* what a revelation! lol

as for the food, just leave him be. if he doesn't want to eat, then don't make him. he'll eat when he's hungry. my almost 3yr old has decided not to eat lately. mainly at dinner. so our rule is he doesn't have to eat if he doesn't want to, but he can't leave the table until we excuse him from it.
    Anonymous

• have you had him checked by a doctor. Mental illness such as bi polar.
    Anonymous

• When he won't eat don't give him any snacks at all either. When he gets hunger he will eat. His behavior is typical for his age.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 2:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i think it's just amazing how fast people are to say check for an illness these days...especially when it's typical behavior for that age...jeez...kids are way too medicated these days
    Anonymous

• cont.
    Another thing that we do is take toys away. Our son has started to throw toys really hard at us, our cats, and the walls. We immediately take the toy away (only the one he is using dangerously), explain that we can try to play it again tomorrow and that is the end of it. He gets upset, but his throwing has gone down a lot.

As for the eating... dont' give him any snacks. My son is on this same kick. He has been eating mainly macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, and canned veggies for a few weeks now. I feel guilty for his diet being so blasae, but I am doing the best I can. I also let him have a banana before bedtime- because he eats so little throughout the day he will not sleep unless he has an evening snack.
    Pick your battles. Sometimes I just sit on the couch and let my son's craziness run its course. My getting upset over him not getting his diaper changed, etc. only fuels his fire.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My daughter doesnt like toys period. We have always had to give her time outs in a play pen. Not for long, we want her to remember what she did. But we move it to the center of her room so she cant even bang on the wall...works pretty well. She behaves. She isnt even two yet though. But you get the idea...
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• OMG... Anon 07/10: do you have my son over there right now?? haha... he's almost 2-1/2 and I've been taking away toys, times outs, making him sit on the couch, putting him in his room and now lately he's being so dramatic over everything....i mean, MORE than he was before..lol!! I am not reading a book on "strong willed children" WOW.. hit the nail right on the head about my son. But I am loving the book..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 1) Spank that ass.
    2) A small appetite is normal for his age. Don't push it.
    Anonymous