How did you get your child to use a sippy cup?

My son is 8 months old. I have been trying to get him to use a sippy cup, but he doesn't seem to want to use it. What kind of sippy cup did you use and how did you get your child to use it?

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 1:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well NUBY makes a sippy cup that has a soft silicone straw like nipple on it and its a pretty good one... also gerber makes a transition cup that has a flat spout but the gerber nipples from the bottles fit into the cup so as soon as your child gets used to the cup idea you can switch the nipples.

good luck
    TrinaMonet

Answer by TrinaMonet at 1:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My daughter didn't like them at that age either. So I just kept trying and trying but never forced it on her. I bought everyone you can think of to get her to like at least one. She finally took to one and so I bought those kinds. She was completely off of the bottle by 14 months which is what my doctor recommended. I started by giving her milk in the bottle but water or juice in the sippy. Then it progressed into only a bottle in the morning when she woke up and at night when she went to bed. Then I took the morning one away and replaced it with a sippy and lastly the night one.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 1:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I used the playtex ones... I just kept offering him a sippy cup when he would sit and eat a snack or have some baby food. Eventually he would start to take a few sips out of it. Just keep offering it... your baby will try it out soon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• we tried 4 different "regular" sippies with not luck then got the STRAW kind and they got it right away at 10 months they tosses the bottle
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2008