head banging?

why does she do this my 15 month old will hit her head on the wall just stand there and do it, idk why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dghter too. IDk but I can't stand it.
    Anonymous

• My son does it too when he's upset. I think he does it to get attention though since I just had another baby and sometimes can't spend as much time with him as he would like.
    Anonymous

• My daugter does this. IDK I think she is looking for attention because she yells "ow mommy" and then laughs when I come over to see.

My uncle did the same thing as a small child but banged his head against the side walk. The doctor told my grandma that it wouldnt hurt him seriously and he would only knock himself out once. He did. Then he stopped.

banging head into wall

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I dunno, but my sister did that when she was young and she ended up having a mental problem involving hurting herself in any way she could into her adult life and dying at 36 from such complications.
    Of course there is nothing saying a child who bangs their head will or does have mental problems I'd just keep an eye on it. Try and change the situation when you find her doing it. I'd ignore it for the most part, just pick her up and get her involved in something else. Talk to the Dr and make sure your little one is up to date on all skills for her age.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My first did it just too see how hard he could do it without it hurting. I still remember one time that he was banging his head on the floor. He finally did it hard enough that it hurt a little. He got this funny look on his face, looked at the floor, then did it again just to see if he would get the same result. Of course it hurt that time too, so he got up and went to do something else. Kids do all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. For mine, it was a matter of finding that line I guess.
    Anonymous