nosebleeds while pregnant?

anyone had nosebleeds while pregnant? what causes them? i just had my first one today and it was pretty bad and now i am just kinda blah feeling lol.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used to get them with my son, from what i remember The Doc said its just because everything is kinda swelling. But nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• yes, i forget why though
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• They are more likely in pregnancy because you have increased blood flow throughout your body. The increased blood flow along with the swelling (which occurs greatly in the sinus') makes it much easier for a woman to get a nose bleed. It is the same reason some women sneeze more often and some have a stuffy nose their entire pregnancy. It is completely normal though, just one of the down sides of pregnancy =/
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It is common. Not only due to the increase in blood flow, but also because your nasal passages dry out easily during pregnancy. Both together causes nose bleeds. I never had them where the blood was coming out of my nose, only where if I'd blow my nose there'd be a spot or two of blood.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I had them constantly through both pregnancies. When I ran a humidifier at night, they stopped.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I had some pretty bad ones too. I think I read that it is from the swelling capallaries in your nose and sinus cavities (that's also why some women are more prone to headaches during pregnancy).
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010