how can i prepare my self for a family death?

i pray to God that its no time soon however i feel like im going to lose my grandmother very soon and im extreamly close to her. when the time comes i know hat i will have a mental break down and i am trying to prepare myself for it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Health

• When my mom was diagnosed with cancer (late stage so not a long time to deal with it) I moved in with her and we had a blast. We had some quality time together. We laughed, we cried, we said all the things that mattered. I was with her the night before she died. None of it knew it would be that soon but it was like a party. They threatened to kick us out of the hospital for being loud which was funny in itself since the woman was dying!!!! Where were they going to send her, to the morgue for early deposit? OMG, we laughed like crazy. Your grandmother may not feel up to joking and partying but have some quality time with her. People come to us for a reason and a season. Her season may be up soon so enjoy every moment possible with her, even if just over the phone. You will find such peace in those moments that it will carry you long after she is gone.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I felt like that when I lost my dad, but our brains have an amazing capacity to cope.  My best advice to you is to make memories.  I wrote my father a letter telling him how much I loved him and how much he influenced my life, I had family portraits done and we took lots of video footage.  These things helped me to let go and accept the inevitable.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010