How old should a child be when they begin to read? (or what grade)

I attended preschool and had an aunt teach to read before I went to Kindergarten. My children learned to read in Kindergarten and 1st grade. My son is not in preschool and not in kindergarten yet. I am wondering when is normal for a child to read. He is getting very close...knows all his sounds, knows how to write each letter and is putting them together. Looking at every word.

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 3:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on the parent and how much they work with them on sounds, the alphabet, etc. Usually though a child begins to read in kindergarten, starting with basic words and short books, they move up to longer words (one's with more than one syllable) in first grade. They usually perfect their basic reading skills in second grade.

Hope that helps =)
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 3:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My 5 year old kindergartener can read simple and repetitive words, my older son could read well by the end of grade one. Now at age seven in grade two he is on to short novels.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 3 or 4. i say 3 they should be able to sound out little words, like "for" or "baby", at 4 should be a bit bigger words like "apple". my 2yr old sounded out potty and table a couple months ago. i was so proud. but it really depends on the child and their development. at the preschool i worked at, the age started at 2, we had kids writing their names by 3, learning how to tie shoes, their vowels, reading sentences, ect.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• DD entered kindergarten as a full fledged reader, now at the end of 3rd grade she reads on a 7th grade level. DS will be going this fall, and just isn't catching like his sis did, but doing well. DS # 2 knows his letters, but thats it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My niece learned to read before she went to Kindergarten and preschool.
    Every child learns at a different pace. I believe that you should encourage the child from a young age.
    Things you can do to encourage children go from as simple as having a conversation with them. Teaching them new words and how to pronounce them. Writing and learning their letters and numbers. All of that can help greatly in teaching a child to read, outside of actually sitting down with a book and pronouncing each word on the page. Pointing out words you see while you're out can also help them. By turning it into a game will get the yonger children into it.

The reason I explain all that, is because younger children need more then just sitting down with a book. Kids of kindgarten age have a bigger attention span and can sit and learn to read. Whereas the younger kids may not. So it's important to bring other aspects of learning into it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• There is no set age. Everyone is different. No one "worked" with me. I watched Sesame Street and Electric Company and was read to. I could read at 3/4. My son could read at 5. Some kids are 6/7. and I mean I could read books, not just sound out words. My son could read books at 5.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• My son was in first grade
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• If you can't sound out words then you aren't reading. Reading is not just memorization. The only words they should memorize is the sight words. They have to be able to decode and sound words out.

Anonymous

• What I meant: I didn't sit and say.......r-u-n s-p-o-t r-u-n. I could read like an adult. You do not just sit and sound out a few words. You just read. Geez. Yes, at first I did..but, I was like two/three and I didn't call that reading yet. I call the knowing letters and sounds and piecing them together.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• preschool age
    Anonymous