When does a new baby start to sleep through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually not until at least a few mos, more often even longer then that. And, for babies, "through the night" means a 5 hr stretch.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Whenever they want to.

Once they hit a certain age it's appropriate to start helping them sleep through the night, can't remember the number though.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 3:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Well, I think my son slept through the night at 8 months old,. for a couple months then woke again at nights during growth spurts then on again for a couple months, then growing pains, then good, now 4 months long stretch of nightmares and waking every couple hours.. so.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It depends on the kid. My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 20 months old and I sleep trained her. It can be exhausting, but cosleeping helps everyone get more sleep :) Make sure to do it safely, though. Some kids do it as early as like, 6 months, some later.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• mine is 4 months and hasn't yet...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When they feel like it lol...Usually when they are able to anywhere from 5-9 hours (varies per baby) without eating. For a young baby, 5 hours uninterrupted at night is considered "through the night". Most will change their sleeping habits at random, though, so you really can't count on them sleeping through the night for long once they do.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It varies (widely) by child; every child is different. My oldest slept through the night (10 PM to 6 AM) consistently at 3 months, my youngest at 6 weeks, but many children don't sleep through the night until much later.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i was VERY lucky with my daughter she started at 1.5 months sleeping from 10pm-8/9am. th first time it happened she woke up at 6am, i went to get her a bottle, and by the time i got back to her crib (i was 2-3 minutes) she was sound asleep again..i thought i fluked out, but, after that she just continued to do so!! but i had a friend whos son was still up every night until he was about 1 and a half yrs old
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• When they do. It's developmental. Five hours is sleeping through the night and generally takes time to achieve.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• my 19 month old still doesnt sleep through the night. my 6 month old has been sleeping through the night since he was about 4 weeks old. in my opinion it just depends on the baby! good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2010