breast cancer?

ok so I had a breast ultra sound on Wed. and my Dr. just left a message saying that it was urgent that I call back. When I calle dthey told me that the lady that handles referals would call me right back. Why would this happen only 2 days after the test? Is it probably bad news? I'm feaking out.

mommix4

Asked by mommix4 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in About CafeMom

• oh boy, I have been through this AND my mom had breast cancer (7 years cancer free).

What happens is they see "something" on the ultrasound and they want you to then do an MRI (usually). THEN they decide if they need to biopsy or not. I think that the tests can now show every tiny speck of anything (even dust, and I'm not kidding) so the docs need to follow up and decide if it's something else or not. Remember that most of what they "see" is NOT cancer. There are benign things, cysts, etc. It is scarey, scarey, scarey to be in the middle of it, but whatever it is, it's better to find out and take care of it than to let it ride and not know.
    A couple of times with me they decided they were seeing a mole on my skin that they hadn't marked properly at the beginning of the test. They just called me back to make me crazier!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• bump
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Plaes anyone with advice or personal knowledge would help me alot
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• im sry i wish i knew i hope it is not bad news though
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• hi, it's scary the wait for anything with health. it could be as simple as a cyst that the doctor thinks should be aspirated so it won't continue to grow and fill. I've had aspirations and a wide excision. Since you had a mammogram it means that a lump to some degree was found. Not every lump is cancer. I have had what seemed to be solid lumps and upon being in the o r for biopsy it was found to be rock hard cysts that had filled and become solid. That was why the ultrasound could not show that those masses were fluid filled.

If it's a lump that the doctor suggests a biopsy on you can always get another opinion. If you saw an ob you can ask another ob to review your films or see a breast surgeon. Breast surgeons do not only take care of breast cancer patients. Breast surgeons also take care of women with benign breast conditions. I have atypical ductal hyperplasia and I get examined more closely than w/o it.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I have 6 lumps that have grown huge. They don't move and I have bruising, sores, and dimpling. I hope it's a cyst
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Thank you so much for your kind words and helpful words. I've waited 30 min for her to call back so I'm gonna call her now.
    mommix4

Answer by mommix4 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2010