Is it ok to get your hair dyed during pregnancy?

I'm looking for peoples oppinions..I would like a change but i don't want to cut my hair! I would like to darken up my hair but Im 37 weeks pregnant and iv'e heard different answers to this question. Please let me know what you all think about it!

chloe1993

Asked by chloe1993 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• absolutely...its just an old wives tale that the fumes would make your child stupid but thats been proven false haha...
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i died my hair when i was pregnant. i didnt want to have roots and bad hair in my hospital pictures!!!! my kids are both fine.
    Anonymous

• *dyed*
    Anonymous

• Thank you! That makes me feel much better
    chloe1993

Answer by chloe1993 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It's recommended to not do it due to the chemicals in the dye may end up in your blood stream. The chemicals in it are kinda groady, but honestly, I dyed mine. I think I was about 4 months when I did though, and I think it was just highlights.... but with my second child I waited until after I had her for the full thing. I think it's personal choice. The chances of it hurting your baby are pretty low but I guess it's one of those things I didn't want to test... even though I did drink caffine and ate fish while I was pregnant. No judgement from me if you do though. A happy mom makes a happy baby!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i think its fine but i would buy a hair color that is amonia free coz you dont want to be breathing that in .. amonia is bad for you and baby its just like they tell you not to be using cleaning products with amonia in it and also stay away from salons coz of all the fumes and toxins.. im waiting to go to the salon around my due date n get my nails and toes done. but thats it for me. for the cleaning products i just purchased organic ones that have no scent and they are safe for you and have no amonia
    MOMMY2BE0786

Answer by MOMMY2BE0786 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i have done it with all 3 or my pregnacies.. im actually going to get it done in the morning
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I dyed mine when I was pregnant only because I had highlights. I didn't want to re-highlight every 6 weeks so I just dyed it back my natural color and actually haven't touched it since.

The only warning my DR and friends gave was the dye might have problems taking, meaning it takes longer then usual or shorter then usual due to your hormones; but I didn't have any problems.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 5:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• i went to the salon and did it myself at home. just if you do it at home open a window in the bathroom if you can so you can vent it out..not for harmful reasons it just made me nauseos...go dye that hair mama!
    Anonymous

• Thank you everyone!
    chloe1993

Answer by chloe1993 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 27, 2010