my baby starts day care monday...

and i am sooo nervous its not even funny. he just turned one and i am like totally freakin out. any advice?? or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the best thing to do is drop him off and just leave. leave the room only, if you have to. and just hang out in the hall. you picked out this daycare, so obviously you trust that they'll care for him properly, so no need to worry. i never understood why parents, mainly moms, cry when they drop their kids off at daycare. my son went every now and then starting at almost 2, dd has been going every now and then since 5 months, and i never cried...
    Anonymous

• im not crying and i wont cry but i know WHAT kinda stuff happends in day cares and they can look great and then behind closed doors they are not, im glad to see that ur a trusting person and trust your kids with strangers
    Anonymous

• Relax. He's going to do better than you will.

A good day care will let you drop in at any time, to ease your fears. There are really not that many day cares that are bad, when you look at the sum total of them.

Tell you what happened here. My son couldn't get rid of us fast enough. There was a sand table to be played with! What are parents in comparison to the lure of new toys?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• you will be upset for the first couple of days, and you will think about him often. My DD had a sitter until she was one, then started at a center and LOVES it! She has learned so much, adores her teachers, and hugs her friends all the time. She goes to a small center, where I can call anytime to check on her, and both of us can stop by unannounced whenever we want. He will probably do fine after a week or so of adjustment, and seeing him comfortable will ease your mind. Don't let people crap on you for putting him in daycare, but also trust your guts if you feel like something is not quite right! Good luck!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 4:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 1 Anon here- i've worked in 4 daycares, so i know what happens too. so therefore, i knew what to look for, when to go in, what questions to ask, ect when picking the daycare. it also helps that in my area we have the best daycares in the country.

everyone that works at the daycares (and i say that in plural cuz there are 2, the hourly care and the saturday care) knows my son, i can call and say "hey it's so n so's mom" and they know who i'm talking about, they all love him and rave about how he's so good and talks so well, ect. they're awsome. i don't just trust anyone.
    Anonymous

• I cried like a maniac the first whole week after I walked out. Tips I got from his teachers ( he started a center at 16 months ) were to come in and drop him off as quick as possible. staying around only upsets him more. It took him a while, maybe 4 months for him to not cry every drop off but now he LOVES going there.. it took longer cause he's not an independant child,. he never plays by himself, never wanted to, colic, held a lot, clingy stil.. etc.. I could go on, but most people it doesn't take that long for them to stop crying. hang in there mommy.. most days its still hardest on me !
    Anonymous

• Statistically your child has a greater chance being harmed by yourself than a daycare provider.
    Anonymous

• To the first anon, you're being very rude. It's normal for a mother who gives a damn to be upset when she first drops off her baby at daycare.

Anon 44 - watch the news sometime then talk about statistics. I see at least one story every week about a daycare provider who has abused, or worse, a child in their care.
    Anonymous

• i use to work in a daycare and i quit because of the things that some of the teachers were doing not trying to scare you! but some of them have a observation room that you can watch ask the administrator to let you go in there and watch without the teachers knowing if they dont have one do research on the place and make sure you know as much as you possibly can find out not trying to scare you im not saying all daycares are bad but you never know! where i was working there was an elderly woman that would pinch the kids very hard and would grab them and push them down when i first met her i never thought she would do something like that! I finally told my boss and she wouldnt do anything so i quit and told my Teacher and she reported the place after that i found out there was alot more abbuse than what i was seeing!Just trust your gut feelings! hope everything works out!
    Anonymous

• I hope it is a home daycare. In my state home daycare providers can only care for 4 kids. That would be a good max. to make sure your child gets lots of care. Group day care centers are scary.

I take care of my toddler grandson several days a week. We handle comings and goings quick and easy. We wave bye and say 'later'. No long hugs and kisses. If he sees it's easy for the adults I think it makes it easier for him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2010