I have a new puppy and he favors the kids over me!

I wanted a little lap dog, so i got a Maltese puppy...but so far he would rather be with the kids than with me!! how do i get him to bond to me, so i can take him around with me in the summertime...like to the dog park, in the car...whereever...

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pets

• oh, how old are your kids? Kids just interact differently more inventive with games than adults. I've had dogs too that I thought didn't like me at all. But they were just played with at a different level than me. it all evened out though.
    Anonymous

• Are you honestly jealous of your kids over a dog's affections?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 28, 2010

• She is a puppy so kids would look better to her. They know who their Mama is.
    When the kids are in school than you should play with her and take her out.

I also have a maltese 3-years old and 4pounds and they do slow down when they are around 2 to 3 years old. She also sleeps with us. Watch out if she is very small, you can roll on her in bed.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Totally natural - to your dog, the kids are other puppies! They are small and rambunctious, and probably rarely tell him "no". Your dog will always have a different type of relationship with you than with your kids - not saying anyone is less loved than anyone else, just that he will show it in different ways.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2010

• As far as the dog is concerned , the children are more playful and fun to be with than you are. You will have to get down - or up - to puppy's level so he finds he can happily relate to you too.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2010