does the government give unemployment benefits to stay at home moms?

LOVENHUGS

Asked by LOVENHUGS at 5:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not in the US.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• That would be a negator. :)
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• No. Not unless you were laid off from a job and meet all the state's other requirements.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Not here.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I work at an office in PA, and you thave to work and have earnings in the base year(last 4 of 5 most recent completed calendar quarters) and you also have to have a valid reason to be separated from employment to qulifiy for benefits.

So no, since no earnings come from that.
    Anonymous

• Depends. I got laid off about 1 month before giving birth so I did get unemployment for a while as a SAHM.
    Anonymous

• No.
    Anonymous

• Why would being a SAHM be considered unemployment, unless you find yourself as one while you are searching for a new job because of a layoff?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• You have to have worked in order to receive benefits.

Here in Canada you have to work for a certain amount of time before you can put in a claim for benefits. When the benefits run out you have to work again for a certain period of time before you can submit another claim. If you haven't worked enough hours you don't recieve benefits. When I went on mat leave after my first baby I recieved employment insurance while on mat leave. I went back to work, took my second mat leave and received benefits. I have been a SAHM ever since, which means I have not worked or paid into employment insurance since my second mat leave, so there is no way I could make a claim. It's insurance. You have to pay into it in order to make a claim.

You also could not just quit your job (or get fired), decide to be a SAHM and go on employment insurance. Choosing not to work is not considered a legitimate reason to receive benefits.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Also, at least here, they only look at the last 6-12 months of employment or something like that and they give you benefits based on that. So if you're filing a claim I think you have to have worked in the previous year.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2010