Does it seem like schools are trying to play mom and dad?

I have a six year old son who's in kinder this year.Last semester we went through issues with the school about discipline & how they determine discipline.My son took the brunt of a punishment that he wasn't solely involved in.The school rationalized it by the seniority of the other student involved.Needless to say I called the school district & got it all figured out & we haven't had any other problems until now.We've fell on hard times & my son has missed a couple of days due to lack of gas in the car.I swallowed my pride & went in when I was able to & explained the situation to his teacher so she wouldn't think we were just playin' hookey!My son has been absent a total of 7 days out of the whole year.Now I've gotten a letter in the mail saying that if he is going to be absent anymore this year that they would require a doctors note or it would be marked unexcused, then would file a complaint against me!Tell me your thoughts.

cgonzales542

Asked by cgonzales542 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm a teacher, and when a parent says to me "They've only missed 7 days" when we're less than 3/4 of the way through the year, I tell them to think of it as 49 hours of schooling. Your child has missed 49 hours of schooling (depending on the length of your school day). Especially when they're young, it is terribly important for them to be there as much as possible. Sending home a few worksheets for make-up work doesn't even begin to make up for what is missed in those 49 hours.
    School is compulsory. You have the right to opt out of public school, but if you choose to use public school your child must attend. It's not playing mom and dad. The note did what it was meant to do. It got you to come up with another plan.
    Although, fyi, I do understand and sympathize. Your child's teacher probably does too.
    Anonymous

• Well,I can see their point. You need to have a backup plan for when you are unable to take him.What are you teaching him about responsibility?
    Anonymous

• I understand marking it down as unexcused. As for filing a complaint on you that is soooo stupid. Not attacking but is there a reason why he cant ride the bus?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• What kind of complaint? In some states kids don't have to go to school until they are 7. I don't know what they would do. If your state required kids to go to school at age 6 then your child has to be there. If there isn't a bus how does the school expect kids to get to school? Can he walk? Can he ride a city bus?

If you can't be sure you can get him there and you don't think there is a safe way for him to get there I guess you will have to homeschool.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Schools need Dr's note otherwise if the child is absent a number of days the school won't get funds. That's the main reason. $$$ chachin!
    Anonymous

• The school he attends is within 2 miles of our home and they said that the buses do not run if we are that close to the school. I went in and asked! They all looked at me like I was some loser or something! I explained the problem to then, just in case they thought I was being lazy, and they insisted on their answer and then began talking to the lady behind me! As far as teaching my son responsibility I do but not about money, not right now.
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I know if a child is absent for 7 days STRAIGHT they can call Social Services.
    Anonymous

• I have walked him to school several times but I also have a two year old and in the mornings it's cold and I don't want to get either of them sick. My husband works from 8 in the morning till 8 at night so it's just me! When we were low on gas my husband got a ride from a guy he works with but it was left up to me to figure out the school situation.
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• What are the truancy laws where you live? It could be that he has reached the maximum number of absences allowed without a medical reason. If you are within 2 miles, you can walk if you have no gas money.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Ask for the contact information of the School District Transportation Liaison to obtain busing for your child.
    Anonymous