They are teaching first graders things I learned in high school!

My nephew came home from school today (he stays with me every other weekend) and said "Did you know that Garret A Morgan was an African American and he invented the traffic light and the gas mask" A few weeks ago he told me bees suck up nectar with their proboscis to eat nectar! I had never even heard that word before!

Do other elementary schools teach things like this to their first graders or is it just his school? It is just a plain old public school, I never thought he would learn this much information!

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 5:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• LOL! I am a 4th grade teacher, and YES! The things that kids are taught in the lower grades is astounding! My children are in K and 2nd grade, and I couldn;t believe it last year when my then 1st grader was learning about VERTICES, PLANES, SPHERES, and POLYGONS in FIRST Grade! Whatever happened to teaching 6 year olds about "corners, sides, balls, and simple shapes?!"

When I present some topics in my classroom, I SWEAR I remember doing some of them in 7th and 8th grade! LOL I feel so old! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I think it has alot to do with the school and the district but I know what you mean they are teaching them stuff way too early but hey time has changed.
    Anonymous

• That's awesome!! You know my son, who is in kinder, comes home and tells me all kinds of stuff that I didn't think they would teach him! Right now he is obsessed with George Washington and tells me he is going to get a wig just like him! Then he told me that Abraham Lincoln was a lot taller than me! Public school has definately taken a change for the better in the education aspects!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I doubt they're really teaching this stuff like they expect the children to remember it and be tested on it, my guess is they learned about bees and that was mentioned and that your nephew is really bright and picking up on every little thing.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Just wait. The first project my son had in middle school was to be done on power point. The school assumed he had a computer, assumed he had power point, assumed he knew how to use it....... and this was a history class.

Every single kid handed it in on power point.

Anonymous

• how old are you guys? i mean seriously kids learn tons of stuff and as you grow you forget some too. remember kids are sponges. you girls were too when you were in first grade.
    Anonymous

• OP here- I am only 18 so it wasn't that long ago I was in school, the inventor I remember learning about in 10th grade. I'm not saying we didn't learn the same things but I never realized the things they learned in first grade.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Anon :19 - power point? In middle school. Good thing we homeschool, my kids would have flunked. They aren't allowed to use computers until high school, whether they are homeschooled or not.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, first graders learn that stuff. I have taught my first graders about a few icons in AA history this month. We read Weekly Reader magazines every week as well. Those are full of science and social studies facts, such as the "bees" your nephew learned about.

ANON 57 - WHY are you against computers? My 3 YO is learning on the computer. My first graders use computers every week for various learning activities. They really are WONDERFUL tools for a classroom to have.

Anonymous

• lol, my 4yo learned that off of noggin.... o well it's nick jr. now but u catch my drift
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010