Transitioning to sippy from bottle

I have an almost 15 month old that will not give her bottle of milk. The problem is that she uses it to go to sleep since she has never liked a binky. I don't know how to make her stop using the bottle without her throwing a huge tantrum before bedtime (i've tried comforting her, rocking her and reading her a story before bedtime, but she won't forget her bottle). And during the day she will not take her sippy cup either, she knows how to use it since i've been giving it to her since 6 months, but she insists on chewing the spout whether it's a hard or soft one. I need help on how to make her understand that she needs to drink fluids and at the same time get her to stop using a bottle to soothe herself to sleep. Any tips???

blank1104

Asked by blank1104 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I stopped my daughter cold turkey, one day I threw all her bottles away. Yeah we had a few rough nights of her crying and screaming but eventually she realized she wasn't getting her way and that if she wanted her milk she would have to drink from the sippy cup. Im not saying you should do that but that was how I dealt with it. Good luck
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 6:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I know she's older, but is there anyway to tweak her schedule so that she doesn't drink a bottle to go to sleep? For instance, i have 11 month old b/g twins and they have their 'dinner' which includes a jar of vegetables between them and 6oz of formula/rice and usually one snack like a mum-mum. They eat this dinner at around 8pm and they go to bed at 10pm. We ready them a story and they get "night-night kisses" and then they are put in bed and go to sleep.
    newmom2bgtwins

Answer by newmom2bgtwins at 2:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2010

• today is the 3rd day cold turkey, no bottle for bed and no bottle during the day, just the sippy cup. the tantrums are getting lesser by the minute, but she's still trying to defy my authority and still tries to get me to give her a bottle but i haven't fallen for it. I think it's gonna be okay, it's just gonna take some time, but nonetheless it's getting better everyday. i'm having trouble now in getting her to drink milk out of the sippy cup (she's refusing the sippy with milk), but i finally got her to drink juice and water out of it.
    blank1104

Answer by blank1104 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 28, 2010