I canceled the TV service. Will my kids be missing something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes. If they around any normal people it will be diffiuclt for them. My best friend grew up in a home without TV (Quakers) back before cable when there were only a few channels and even back then it made her not fit in.

We have not had TV for short periods of 2-3 months several times because we couldn't afford it. I don't watch much TV but I hated it. If you watch TV online and get news online it won't be quite so bad. If you don't do that it may be horrible. I may only watch TV 2 or 3 hours a day.

My kids didn't watch much TV and we homeschooled. They were around normal kids and at least they knew enough to not seem like they were from Mars (at least not all the time).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Nothing important.
    Anonymous

• Um, they would miss out on television, nothing else.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I haven't had cable for about 13 years. I get movies on Netflix, and I find TV series that I like on there too, and I'm set. No commercials and I get to greatly limit the amount of time spent in front of the tube.
    Anonymous

• Although Gaiiil is right about people looking at you funny when you say you don't have TV channels I just used to shrug and say, "I've got plenty of movies and I don't like commercials anyway."
    Anonymous

• Good for you !

They'll only be missing THE major obstacle to healthy development of their physical bodies AND their minds ! Our country would be in MUCH better shape with less TV / computer / videos / videogames.

Statistically, they'll be GAINING about 53 hours every week ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Seriously no.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Gaill: "We have not had TV for short periods of 2-3 months several times because we couldn't afford it. I don't watch much TV but I hated it. If you watch TV online and get news online it won't be quite so bad. If you don't do that it may be horrible. I may only watch TV 2 or 3 hours a day."

I have to say this cracked me up! 

Anonymous

• WTG MOM!! That's what I wanna do!! So jealous! SO is a TV ADDICT. He HAS TO HAVE HDTV, n SATELLITE n SURROUND SOUND BLAH BLAH BLAH!! We're on a budget and when I proposed we get rid of the U-Verse he was not happy.

You make me want to bring it up again!!
    BTW: My 21mo never watches TV. Dad will watch sports when he's in the living room (sometimes...when I'm not home) but he won't sit and watch anything. This was passed on to me by how my older bro and sis raised their kids. It helps so much. You're kids will be more creative and interactive learners.
    Short story: My sis lil boy was in a preschool n teacher let 'em watch a TV show. Her son would jump out and ROFL at some parts. Teacher thought it was odd behavior. Then we figured it out...TV doesn't allow you to interact with the characters and that's what he was doing since he was never forced to sit and be a passive learner (couch potato)! ENJOY YOUR KIDS!!!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• personally I like TV but I don't have to have it. I don't feel your kids would be missing anything important, there are other ways of entertainment and getting the news. AND hey, they can read and use their imaginations more. Right now we do have a TV, but once we get settled into our home, It will be only for Movies and my DD's v-smile (I like the educational stuff). There is nothing wrong with TV if that is what you like, but should you chose otherwise that is just as normal and won't effect your little ones. You never know they might be better for it. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 7:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2010