cats dipped in oil ?

my aunt had someone throw 2 kittens dipped in oil in her yard ( we are having a snow storm) .... she cleaned one of them off ( the other got away) ...and then dropped it off here for me to take care of until we find someone to have it .........

This sint the first time Ive heard of people dipping animlas into oil before dropping them off...I was just wondering, why would they do that ( in the oil) I am sure it is to do something to them....I mean does it make them die faster or freeze or what?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 6:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Pets

• idk what it does but that is very sad :(
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 6:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Who know why people do the things they do. I work with animals, and have seen animals, live through some pretty horrible things and some that were not so lucky. Make sure all of the oil is off of that baby and get him to the vet as soon as you can. I hope your aunt is able to get the other one too. I have a puppy right now that was found on the street covered in open sores that were either caused by being thrown from a car or abuse in general. He was also so malnourished that it caused his front legs to become over extended. People make me sick!
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would wash the cats with dawn. It's what rescuers use when animals get caught in oil spills. (different oil I know but same idea). As for why people do that I have no clue but I also don't get why people abandon pets either.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it was for a ritual, sacrifice, etc....People do lots of weird things.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2010

• Lots of people think that oil cures mange. (it doesn't) Maybe that's what they're trying to do.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2010

• What type of oil? If it was flammable, they might have set some of the other kittens on fire before realizing that it wasn't quite the fast and effective way of getting rid of them that they hoped. If it was something non-flammable or more benign like vegetable oil they might have been hoping to get rid of fleas or mange or some other parasite. They could have also accidentally spilled the oil on the cats or the cats could have gotten it on themselves and the people could have chosen to just abandon the cats somewhere rather than having them taken care of properly.

Humans do some stupid/horrible things.

Take the kitten to the vet to make sure that the cat doesn't have any parasites/mange/whatever, and make sure that they haven't ingested any of the oil if it might be of the toxic sort. Poor kitties.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2010