Buying condoms with an 11 or 12 year old with you?

So I went to buy a pregnancy test the other day, which are right next to the condoms and all that good stuff. While I was looking I saw a couple probably in their late 20's-early 30's shopping for condoms, literally picking up different boxes, while their daughter (I'm assuming) who was between 11 and 12 stood their very awkwardly. Why would someone do that to their child. I know they weren't, you know, buying them for her because they were talking among themselves. It was just so weird.

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 7:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Maybe they're one of those "We're totally open with our kids about sex" couples.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• maybe it was a younger sister or cousin or something - often times people who dont have kids dont get the common sence things about what is not ok in front of a kid
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Why not? Kids that age should know about birth control and it's good to know where it is, how to decide what to buy, and how to buy it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Kids that age should already know about that sort of thing. Of coarse the teen is embarrassed  They always will belike that with there parents.

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Not getting what is wrong here...? I'm guessing she knows what sex is, and will have to learn about that stuff eventually. Kids are learning about that in school at that age. Why hide it?
    Anonymous

• If an 11 or 12 year old doesn't know or understand about condoms someone needs to have a conversation with them. It is healthy for kids to know Mom and Dad love one another and have a healthy sex life. It grosses them out..but it is security at the same time. There were times I had teens or tweens with me at the store when I had to make a personal purchase. It may be embarrassing but it is life. I didn't always have the choice of them not being with me. BTW.. did you know a box of tampons is like Kryptonight to teenage boys?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Right, my parents taught me about sex and everything when I was young, but I'd still feel weird if my parents did that when I was 12...I knew they were married, and having sex, but they were my parents, I didn't want to know the details of it!

I do remember seeing my folks nonchalantly grabbing some lube and putting in the shopping cart; that didn't bother me at all.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand how there is anything wrong with that? If anything they were setting a good example. Kids that age should be we aware of the mechanics of sex, being embarrassed is just part and parcel- they'll be embarrassed if you hug them in front of their friends, is that wrong too?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I always wonder why Moms always take their kids shoppingwith them? ANd there is an example of a couple taking a kid along. Are these kids surgically attached to their parents or to Mom? Yikes!!! I would be shopping alone while kids were HOME with Dad and certainly not taking them along when buying condoms. I want to tell my kids about birth control when they are in Junior High...not when they are 4 or 5 or something.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• 11 yrs is like 6th grade - call me nieve - but are kids REALLY talking about it at that age???
    (Mine is only 6 I havent gotten that far yet)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2010