Did I do the right thing?

I think I did... So this girl I used to be good friends calls me today. I don't talk to her much anymore because I just don't agree with her lifestyle choices. Anyway she calls to laughingly tell me that she had to run to the bank and didn't want to wake up her 2 yo DD. So she left her in her room and put her 5 yo SD in front of the TV... and left. Mind you she called me on the way home from the bank... and we spoke for about 20-30 minutes before she got back. Which means these kids were home alone for at least an hour.... So I called CPS. I dunno I just think about the stuff my kids can get into when I am THERE watching them... what could happen to a 2 and 5 yo left alone? I feel a teeny bit bad cuz we used to be really good friends, but I am more worried about those children than our friendship. Would you have called?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Most Definitely. You did the right thing.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I guess I am also kinda wondering what CPS will even do? I mean she is already home with her kids.....
    Anonymous

• If she is a friend. You should had told her it was not right. Then called CPS.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• They can ask the 5 yr old if mommy left him home alone. He should be able to tell them at least how many tv shows he watched while she was gone.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I did tell her that was messed up... Really messed up. Trust me I told her, she just laughed it off told me it wasnt that big of a deal cuz the 5 yo SD can dial 911 and it wasn't for that long.
    True jreneei I didnt think of that...
    Anonymous

• I would've told her how crazy she was for leaving her kids at home. there is nothing that important at the bank that you have to leave your kids at home, and from the way she sounds i wouldve called cps too because she sounds like she's just lazy
    pebbleschild

Answer by pebbleschild at 7:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• SEE ON TV ALL THE TIME, A MOM ARRESTED FOR LEAVING CHILDREN ALONE SO SAD, USUALLY EITHER A FIRE OR SOME OTHER EMERGENCY HAS HAPPENED. IF YOU CALLED SOLELY FOR THE CHILDREN'S SAKE, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING, IF YOU CALLED OUT OF GETTING HER BACK FOR SOMETHING SHAME ON YOU.

EITHER WAY, WHATS DONE IS DONE............THESE WERE HER ACTIONS, THOSE CHILDREN ARE HER RESPONSIBILITY. YOU ARE NOW IN THE POSITION YOU PUT YOURSELF IN..........ONLY PROBLEM.........YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THE CHILDREN WERE WHEN SHE GOT HOME, YOU DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP OR HURT. AND THATS WHATS BOTHERING YOU. FOR SOME REASON SHE CALLED YOU AND THOUGHT YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS, YOUR ACTIONS BY CALLING CPS HOPEFULLY WILL STOP THIS CARELESS BEHAVIOR SHE HAS FOR HER CHILDREN'S LIVES, HOPEFULLY SHE WILL HAVE TO TAKE PARENTING CLASSES AND THIS IS HER WAKE UP CALL BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.
    Anonymous

• You're nosy.
    Anonymous

• What proof do have other than what she said? You could have gently told her next time if she had errands you could watch her kids or something. Do you think it's great that she would lose her kids and have them in an unstable foster home because you are so quick to tattle?
    Anonymous

• I would have done the same thing....or would have offered to go watch them for her.
    Anonymous