His grandmother said he's not cute enough to model!

My 6 month old is absolutely gorgeous. I am not one of those parents that are delusional. If he wasn't an attractive baby I could acknowledge that. His older sister would have had a modeling contract but it wasn't worth the drives. They were very excited about her. (and no, I wouldn't have had to pay anything ;) He is equally as attractive.
So today for some odd reason I was fishing for compliments. I asked my MIL (his grandmother) if he could be a baby model. She goes, "He's cute...but." and then said nothing else. Hello?!!! What kind of grandmother says that about her grandson who she gushes over all the time? Even if he was the most hideous thing in the world wouldn't a grandmother say, "oh of course sweety!!" I'm a little disturbed. Am I over-reacting? I told my mom and she thinks it's messed up. Why would a grandmother say that? Again, trust me, it's so far from the truth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Perhaps she feels that you are favoring him over his big sis and doesn't feel comfortable supporting you in that.
    Anonymous

• maybe she meant not to put your BABY into modeling. why would you want to do that??
    Anonymous

• so why hide your screen name? why cant we see your "gorgeous" baby?
    Anonymous

• Turn off your drama switch. You took offense because MIL said it. If your own said it would you have run to the MIL to confirm how horrible it was? NO. You should read Brook Sheilds book before putting children into modeling/acting. ANY age.
    Anonymous

• Don't go fishing any more.
    Anonymous

• My MIL did the same thing to us. I was gushing about how pretty my son, her grandson was, and she said well if we wanted to see a really pretty baby her next door neighbor's grandson was cuter. I couldn't believe that she would say that.

Answer by Bmat at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• She should lie? I'm a grandma and I wouldn't lie. I love my grandson but he isn't that cute. As least 2 of my children were cuter.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• Honestly, I would probably discourage someone close to me not to put her kids into it for the simple fact that even if the baby was the most georgous thing on the planet, there is always that chance of not workign out, and I wouldnt want to be the one to encourage it and then see that mom let down. Kind of like on American Idol, the whole family says they sing so good, and then you hear them and fall off your chair laughing? Not saying your baby isnt georgous, but it may be something like that. Aside from that, I would be heartbroken if my kids grandparent said it too. I think you are justified in being upset, but dont let it ruin your day, there may be a reason she felt that way, and it probably ahs nothing to do with how beautiful he is.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I don't want to put him into modeling. I just think he's that gorgeous and was shocked when my MIL didn't agree. I think it's downright scandalous!
    Anonymous

• Maybe she doesn't support the idea of exploiting a BABY or young child for personal gain?! And I'm sorry, but if my child was "discovered" and the modeling agency was reputable, I would have made the effort to give my child a "once in a lifetime" opportunity!

What if your baby is selected? Will you sacrifice drive time for him?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2010