Would you rather have a 3 bedroom house with 2 large bedrooms or.....

A four bedroom house, with two smaller bedrooms?

I have a 16X11 room which I'm thinking of dividing it into two 8x11's. That way I'll have an office. The master bedroom is pretty big, larger than the 16x11 and the other room is probably 8x11 too.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it in the long run when we decide to sell?

So if you were buying, what would you rather have??
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If the rooms (once divided) can comfortably fit at least a twin bed, dresser and desk/chair, I would say go for it--billed as kids rooms! Otherwise, small rooms for the sake of having more of them, would not be a selling feature. I think if you can show maximum space/storage solutions in a small room that would be a selling feature. Too many homeowners don't use wall space for storage solutions--shelves with and without bins or closet organizers to help a potential buyer visualize the potential of small or odd shaped rooms!

Four bedrooms, will sell faster than a 3-bedroom, as MOST buyers looking for 3-4 bedrooms have young children or are planning to have a few kids--room for family growth.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would rather have big bedrooms 8x11's are pretty small
    Anonymous

• Leave the master bedroom alone, people like big master bedrooms. Maybe splitting the other room to two to make the house a 3 bedroom house.

Answer by louise2 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• They have temporary walls you can put up. I personally would like a separate room for my boys' school room or a scrapbooking room for me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• I would rather have smaller, separate rooms. My kids don't do much in their bedrooms, except sleep so they don't need to be big. And I have 5 kids. But many families these days are smaller, with only one or two kids so what would appeal to me may not be good for resale. I would talk to a local realtor and get their take on it.

Answer by missanc at 7:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• It would depend on the whole house and how many bedrooms I needed. We needed four bedrooms when we moved into this house. It has 5. Two of the rooms are probably the 8x11 or something comparable and the other is closer to 9x9 (a little bigger i think....but it is a small room. Either way, the bedrooms have room for beds, small dressers and plenty of area for the kids to play and put toys. So, it wouldnt be an issue for me size wise.

From what you said, you would be leaving a huge master bedroom, right? I would say that as long as you still had a good sized master, you are okay. Do you know anyone who is a realtor? they might know better what would sell better.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2010