Did you buy your first home last year?

Did you file your taxes yet? Have you got you first time home owners credit back yet? How much did you get and how long did it take for you to get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• My son bought his first home last year and I live with him. He filed the forms last Aug. In Dec they asked for more forms. Still waiting. It may not be another month or even two. That would be 8 months!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2010

• We filed at the beginning of Feb. It should only take 6-8 weeks. If you bought a home in "09 and amended your '08 takes it can take months. We just claimed the credit with our '09 taxes. We are getting back the full 8,000. You have to paper file(you can not e-file) your federal taxes and include a copy of the settlement statement, to get the credit..I know a lot of people who just amended the previous years tax return and as a result are waiting months. The best thing to do is just to file for the credit with this years taxes
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2010